Hidden Spam on MR?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by njmac, Mar 31, 2009.

1. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

:confused: This seems pretty weird to me but I have no idea what it means but I'm guessing it's a new way to spam boards while seeming legit?

This thread... This user name (fast1) has been banned on other boards and uses the same image tag. click on Quote user and you'll see this between image tags: http://photosnag.com/img/3322/n09x0302vnsn/clear.gif

Here too.

Thread Starter here too.

The only thing I could find on a google search that makes any sense at all is here: http://boardreader.com/domain/photosnag.com showing a lot of links coming from MR.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That is very strange. Are those posters making it like that on purpose? I don't see where that IMG tag would come from. :confused:

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, it's generally cookie stuffing or view tracking via images. Please report any instances of it you spot.

4. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

What does that mean? View tracking via images in email I can understand, but what does random forum posting need to be tracked for?

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They're hidden links that go usually go through redirects that end up planting a cookie on your computer for a referral program. Anytime from then on that you that happen to purchase something from the vendor used in that cookie, the spammers earn referral bonuses. Very sneaky stuff.

They'll frequently use 1x1 pixel images that are essentially invisible, or sometimes they'll use exact copies of the vBulletin smilies that are actually hosted elsewhere.

6. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Due to the influx of new spam posters, I think implementing the same rules as accessing market place for

- URL embedding in message
    - URL embedding in signature
    - Live URL links

would cut down on the spam.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So if you have 3rd party cookies disabled this would be blocked right?

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That would make sense ...

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9