Hidden tethering app!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by chumawumba, Jul 2, 2013.

1. chumawumba macrumors 6502

chumawumba

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It costs $1.99. Too much to find out if it works or not.

3. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

4. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Just don't get a candy bar out of the vending machine for one day to make up for the cost.

5. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

Only with a computer as the medium

6. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Then I just wasted $1.99. Oh well.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I don't eat candy.

----------

THanks for taking one for the rest of us. These apps usually suck.

8. reedacus25 macrumors newbie

All of these hidden tethering apps have to utilize Ad Hoc wifi tricks to get data out of your phone within the limits of what an app is allowed. It's a pain, but it works if you actually need it.

If the iPad could create an Ad Hoc network, you would be good to go, but alas, you need the heavy lifting of a laptop.

Luckily I should have a freedompop hotspot arriving today or tomorrow to fill that need for iPad data when a laptop isn't handy.

9. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

That app has been in the iTunes store for months and was also the subject of a thread here a week or two ago.

Either Apple doesn't care or it doesn't work (or both).

10. george0 macrumors newbie

iRinger Tethering

The app is still (July 8) in the app store and does work, with some limitations. ATT iPhone 5 running 6.1.2. In order to get the app running, you do need to change the language to French, otherwise it will crash. I also could not use the URL generated by the app, but since you run a static IP address, I changed the URL to the IP address and that seemed to work just fine. Also as mentioned, you cannot background the app.

You can tether a tablet or iPad to the iPhone, sort of. As mentioned, these apps use the adhoc networking on a real computer to generate a network. However, if you have a small travel router, you can do the same thing without the need of a real computer. I have a portable, battery operated travel router that I can now share the iPhone data connection with multiple clients. All you need to do is to connect the iPhone with static IP to the router and then have the clients setup their http proxy to the correct address. Works pretty well. I can now connect a macbook, iPad and Nexus 7 tethered to the iPhone (fortunately I have unlimited data).

Web browsing seems to work just fine, but mail.app doesn't want to connect. Oh well, always can use the web client.

My needs for tethering is inconsistent and light, so the $1.99 for the app is worth it, even with the limitations. For me, the only additional thing to tote along is the small travel router, and once the iPhone and clients are set up, then they only need to connect to the travel router with no additional configuration.