Hidden trackpad gesture?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BENI, Aug 22, 2009.

1. BENI macrumors regular

BENI

I just accidentally did this and I wondered if anyone else could?

If you all knew about this before then sorry - I just haven't seen any mention of it anywhere but it definitely works. it may only be a program specific thing cos it doesn't work in mail or itunes but in iWork it jumps a page at a time and in firefox it skips to the bottom of the page.

I find it very useful when browsing so I thought I'd let you know.

you put three fingers down (I use my 3 middle) and just scroll with the outside 2 leaving your middle finger still. it feels a bit awkward at first but once I got used to it it was fine.

hope this is helpful to sombody:)

2. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

thats the same thing as doing a three finger scroll down still useful though.... by the way this works in firefox too

3. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

oh - stupid of me! I forgot about that :rolleyes:

of course the 3fscroll. sorry guys that makes this pretty useless I'm afraid.

4. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

hahah some people might not know about the three finger scroll or that you can use it with iwork maybe someone a couple of months from now will benefit from this thread.... you never know

5. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

6. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

yeah maybe - I hope so

7. adamk77 macrumors 6502

wow, that took some serious coordination! lol!

i literally laughed out loud as I tried it on the trackpad. that just felt so awkward! :)

8. yuanmoons macrumors 6502

cool, i didnt even know there was a 3 finger browser gesture! :eek:

i know about 2f up & down, 4f down expose, 4f up desktop, 4f left/right for app switch.... any others?

9. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

yeah there are!

on the desktop or in finder in thumbnails view you can increase and decrease the size of the thumbnails by moving one finger towards the top right and another finger to the bottom left. this also woks in iphoto for zooming and thumbnails.

you can also rotate thumbnails and pics in iphoto (and other apps but I don't know off by heart - you just have to try them out in different apps) by rotating 2 fingers round each other while the pic is selected.

I think you will find this better explained in system prefs in the trackpad section there are little vids - check it out.

10. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

yeah there are!

on the desktop or in finder in thumbnails view you can increase and decrease the size of the thumbnails by moving one finger towards the top right and another finger to the bottom left. this also woks in iphoto for zooming and thumbnails.

you can also rotate thumbnails and pics in iphoto (and other apps but I don't know off by heart - you just have to try them out in different apps) by rotating 2 fingers round each other while the pic is selected.

I think you will find this better explained in system prefs in the trackpad section there are little vids - check it out.

the 3f sidways in firefox (safari too?) is like pressing back. that is very useful!