Hide Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by daveplotty, Oct 2, 2014.

1. daveplotty macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I live and work in a pub and am connected to the internet by having a home plug connected to my Airport Express. As there are customers who regularly search for wireless hotspots I was just wondering if there was a way to hide the network but still leave the AE on and have my devices still automatically connect without having to switch it off.

Thanks,

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... start Airport Utility and go to the Wireless tab then click Wireless Options... at the bottom and check the box "Create hidden network", then save the settings and update.

Since you have already logged on to that network on your device, it will remember the network name and login, but other won't see it.

If you have a really determined hacker there are ways to find this hidden SSID network name, but the casual pub crawler won't find it just by looking on their device.

3. daveplotty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help.

Just wasn't sure why it was still showing up but that makes sense now as I was already connected and saved it.

4. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Just so you know - setting your SSID as "hidden" doesn't really hide anything.. Your network is still easily discoverable via any number of "wireless sniffer" tools.

If you want to prevent people from logging into your hotspot - the only way to do it is to set a strong WPK2 password. Hiding SSID isn't proper security.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Hiding the network is just a basic means of preventing visible broadcast to the average Joe on his iPhone looking for free Wi-Fi.

6. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Hiding your open network won't stop anyone from connecting to it - probably not even an average Joe. Setting a strong WPK2 password on the other hand will prevent EVERYONE from joining your network, be it an "average Joe" or the most sophisticated hacker.

That's why hiding your SSID is generally pointless.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I understand that. It is very important to use WPA2-PSK (WPA2 Personal) in order to keep the network secure. I think all that OP wants to do is prevent the average Joe from coming up and going "excuse me sir, what is the Wi-Fi password?". Out of sight, out of mind.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Exactly. I think everybody understands this was the OP's goal.