Hide Dock completely

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ChrisBuchholz, Dec 5, 2010.

1. ChrisBuchholz macrumors newbie

Hi,

I wonder if it is possible to hide the Dock completely. If you go to Dock settings and hide it, it will appear when the cursor near its edge. What I want, is to hide it completely - dont want it to appear all of a sudden and interrupt me. I found the app Dock Gone, which hides the Dock and makes it accessible via a keyboard-shortcut. Thing is, it costs $14.95, and I just want the dock to disappear.

Is there a way to do this? A terminal command or something? I guess there must be - Dock Gone is doing it somehow.

Sincerely,
    Chris Buchholz

2. Dalton63841, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010

Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

This is the only way I know of. In terminal:
    To reverse it just go back to terminal:

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You don't want to kill the Dock. It's tied into other things like Exposé and the Dashboard.

4. ChrisBuchholz thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't like the idea of actually removing the Dock.app as it is an integral part of OS X. I simply need to hide it away, so it don't get in my way.

Yeah, exactly. I just wanna hide it away - like Dock Gone does. Don't need the keyboard shortcut to get it back, though. And I especially don't need to pay a $14.95.

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Well about the only other workaround I could think of would be to use resize the dock to its smallest possible size, then maybe use Onyx to move the Dock to the top and hide it. That is the hack most people use from my googling...

6. ChrisBuchholz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah - that was what I found myself. Don't know if I like that option though. Must be a more clever way of doing it - like what Dock Gone is doing.