Hide Dock

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adejesus, Apr 12, 2013.

1. adejesus macrumors newbie

Is there anyway I can use the terminal to hide or turn off my dock? I use Alfred and have no need for the dock. Also I do not know too much about using the terminal right now.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You can hide the dock, it's under the Apple Menu>Dock.

You can not however turn off the Dock completely without affecting the Desktop, I tried, it is simple to turn off the Dock but then there is no Desktop Picture at all and probably affects more "services".

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

mv /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app.bak
    killall Dock

To reverse it:
    mv /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app.bak /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app

If you don't want to go through the terminal, you could just remove all the icons from the doc (you can't remove finder or trash) and then goto preferences to make it as small as it will go. You would hardly notice it this way.

D

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The Dock app afaik is most of the GUI in general. So you also may break MC and everything.

There is a short cut for hiding it. Mine is always hidden because it takes up a ridiculous amount of space for very little to no benefit. The Windows taskbar needs less space and offers more information.

Just hit Option+CMD+D and the Dock will slide away. If is on auto hide so it still shows when you slide down/left/right wherever your Dock lives. If that is annoying move it to the side of the screen you least often hit with the mouse.

5. adejesus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Satori I went with this suggestion for now and by placing it off to the right and as small as possible really helps thanks.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You can also remove Finder and the trash from the dock but you need to edit a file in the Dock Application, and you need to have root access to do so.

The file to edit is:
    /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/DockMenus.plist

And you need to add a few lines into the trash and Finder entrances, something like remove from dock, after you did that an extra Dock Menu appears when you click on it and you are able to remove it from the Dock.

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You can also hide it by using a ridiculous amount of delay when auto-hiding:

defaults write com.apple.Dock autohide-delay -float 1000 && killall Dock

1000 being amount of seconds to delay.