Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheEmpty

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
NYC
As a developer I generally need to see hidden files, however .ds_store is super annoying to see everywhere! (As is .localized on the desktop) Is there a way to say that I don't want to see certain files? Or perhaps a way that I can have a hot key to show/hide hidden files (Ubuntu did this, it was nice). I could probably also live with it only being in my ~ where most of the hidden folders that I need are.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
As a developer I generally need to see hidden files, however .ds_store is super annoying to see everywhere! (As is .localized on the desktop) Is there a way to say that I don't want to see certain files? Or perhaps a way that I can have a hot key to show/hide hidden files (Ubuntu did this, it was nice). I could probably also live with it only being in my ~ where most of the hidden folders that I need are.

.ds_store files annoy me as well. I simply choose to ignore them.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Can't you unhide the folders you use most often?

"sudo chflags nohidden FileOrFolderNameHere"

Although I don't think you can unhide files that start with a period in their name.

TheEmpty

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
NYC
Can't you unhide the folders you use most often?

"sudo chflags nohidden FileOrFolderNameHere"

Although I don't think you can unhide files that start with a period in their name.

I probably could do that, though it's nice to see new hidden files (esp. in other's code repos). I'll probably do that for now. Perhaps look into other applications and create my own hotkey to show/hide.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
Have a look at TotalFinder. One of its options is to prevent .DS_Store files from being created in local folders and instead redirect them. There is also a keyboard shorcut to toggle hidden files and it suppresses hidden files such as .localized from showing on the desktop.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Have a look at TotalFinder. One of its options is to prevent .DS_Store files from being created in local folders and instead redirect them. There is also a keyboard shorcut to toggle hidden files and it suppresses hidden files such as .localized from showing on the desktop.

Thanks for the TotalFinder suggestion. I used Pathfinder for a while but I grew tired of launching "something else" when the Finder icon was right there in my dock. TotalFinder is a kernel extension and a plug in for Finder. At the same time that scares me because I might get a software update that blows TF out of the water and then what do I do for a Finder? Oh, that's right. I still have Pathfinder installed.

Trindaz

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
I just installed TotalFinder 1.4.8 and was pretty impressed.

I already had all hidden files set to display (so I had the DS_Store and .localized files on desktop) but after installing TotalFinder They magically disappeared from the desktop while still letting me view all hidden files in Finder windows. Very happy with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.