Hide e-mail address ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PERKA, Dec 4, 2010.

1. PERKA macrumors newbie

I have a friend whose e-mail address does not show in my inbox. How does he do that?
    Thank you

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you're using Mail.app, then it will replace the email addresses of people in your Address Book with their names, but the email address is still accessible. There's no way to send an email without your email address showing up.

jW

3. PERKA thread starter macrumors newbie

Invisible e-mail address

Thank you for your reply.
    However, when I receive emails from this friend of mine what I see is just <..>
    So, how does he do that?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'm not sure that it's anything he's doing. While you have the message open, go to View > Message > Long Headers. This will show the whole traffic of the email including his email address. The Return Path should show the email address.

5. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

That looks like a truncation of the address, probably caused by your software. There is a way to hide the addresses of additional recipients, including the sender's address, but that's not what this looks like.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's also possible they put "<..>" in the "Full Name" field of Mail or whatever service they are using so that string appears as their name.