Hide folders from everything -- iTunes, iPhone etc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dufffman, May 7, 2008.

1. dufffman macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just purchased a 15" MacBook Pro and am loving it! A beautiful machine (only its a little louder than my old Sony, but still wayy beautiful).

I have the latest Mac, with the latest version of Leopard installed. So, I have read several ways to hide folders on macgeeky and that's fine. One of the things I really like about my new MBP is how everything integrates together on it. With that said, I have some "personal" videos, docs etc. that I dont want to auto integrate with anything.

For example, my "personal videos" are hidden away in a different folder, but given how beautiful Front Row is, it goes ahead and finds all my stuff and displays it to anyone who decides to check out my MBP.

What is the best way to keep all my personal stuff truly personal , and not have any app (iPhoto, FrontRow, iTunes etc) have access to it, and if possible also password protect it, so anyone accessing my computer can access it?

Many Thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The best way is to recreate the file structure inside an encrypted disk image file... Use Disk Utility, make an encrypted sparse image, assign it a password, and then move all the files inside it. They will only be available when it's mounted. And yes, this is something that has been asked at least once a month for the past six years straight....

3. ThomasShaped macrumors regular