Hide Items in Dock

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by no.1 Apple Fan, Jul 9, 2009.

1. no.1 Apple Fan macrumors regular

no.1 Apple Fan

Attached Files:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you have them load on startup under your Accounts Settings (Login Items) you can have it set to hide the icons.

TEG

3. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I used this to remove the last.fm app from the dock.

Hope you find it of use.

EDIT: to be more accurate I used the changing the plist in textedit, not the app - I don't see the point of installing an app for something like that.

4. no.1 Apple Fan thread starter macrumors regular

no.1 Apple Fan

I don't know what you mean.

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I solve this problem by modifying the plist file of the application. I use plistedit pro to add a new sibling key called a LSUIElement and set its value to 1. This removes the dock icon but still allows the program to run.

My method is first, download plist edit pro. It has a trial period so you can use it for what you want to do without buying it. Then go to the app that you don't want to show up in the dock and right click it and select "show package contents."
    Then under contents there is a file called info.plist. Open this file with plist edit pro. Then when plist edit pro is open right click someone down where there is text and select add new sibling key. Then scroll over and select the LSUIElement. Then a new addition will show up. Right click on this and hit edit value. Replace the YES with a number "1". After you have done this close and save the plist. Restart the application and the dock icon should not be there.

Attached Files:

6. no.1 Apple Fan thread starter macrumors regular

no.1 Apple Fan

That is a little advanced for me. I was thinking there would be something I can click and the icon won't show.

7. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

There is an app in the thread I linked to that will do just this, but in all honesty - I have had this macbook 7 months. I wouldn't say that changing a text document was "too hard" for any user, its very straightforward... see the guide linked in my previous post

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

It really isn't that hard. Its just like 3 or 4 clicks and typing the number 1. If you follow the pictures it is really simple. I have only had my macbook for 6 months and it is my first mac ever.

9. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

There is your simple answer

10. no.1 Apple Fan thread starter macrumors regular

no.1 Apple Fan

Solved!!!

Thanks so much! My problem is solved! :cool: Is there any way I can end this thread (I am used to Apple Support Forums)

Thanks!!

11. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

You are very welcome! I'm glad you're problem is solved. :)

No need to close the thread. Sometimes discussion will continue and others may still offer interesting and worthwhile advice.