Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I got a new (refurb) iPad 2 from Apple/insurance company yesterday.

Luckily it came with 4.3.3, so I jailbroke it straight away. I used TinyUmbrella to grab the SHSH Blobs but it looks like I was too late for 4.3.3, I only got 4.3.4+.

Trouble is, it looks like this iPad has a hardware screen fault, so I may have to return it to Apple for repair/repalcement. Problem is, of course, if I take it in jailbroken, they won't touch it. And if I restore, I can only restore to 4.3.4 or 4.3.5 since Apple don't sign 4.3.3 anymore and I was too late for backing up the 4.3.3 blobs myself. So I if restore before I take it to Apple, I won't be able to then jailbreak it!

So is there any way I can take it in to Apple with it's jailbroken status "hidden"? Maybe uninstall all jailbreak apps and "hide" Cydia somehow?

Cheers

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
I had the same situation for my wife's iphone. I had to restore it to take it in. I asked specifically that the replacement be 4.3.3 and they were able to find one for me.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I didn't think they'd do that. Are they obliged to? Isn't it a bit obvious why you want it, since the only difference between 4.3.3 an 4.3.4 is one can be jailbroken?

Andy Ftw

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
You can use iFaith to save the blobs for the firmware you currently run (aka 4.3.3 in this case). I haven't tried it myself but I believe it should work :)

However it seems almost certain you'll get a replacement anyway if there is a hardware fault surely? In that case it won't matter anyway.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Does iFaith work with iPad 2? The device isn't listed at their web site

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
iPad 2 is not supported by ifaith . Ifaith uses limera1n bootrom exploit which was patched in iPad 2 :) u can ask them to give u a 4.3.3 device :D

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
My issue was the WiFi was not working. I thought they would repair it but instead they offered to replace:

Apple Genius: I have been able to confirm your issue. What we can do is replace the phone. Is that OK with you?
Me: That's OK if you can give me a replacement with 4.3.3.
AG: I will have to check in the back, no guarantees.
-5 minutes later-
AG: I was able to find a device with 4.3.3. And I can demonstrate the issue is fixed.
Me: Thanks!

I was able to jailbreak before leaving the store :)

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
If they ask why you want 4.3.3, tell them you may want to jailbreak the iPad. They can say what they want, but the fact is Apple does not warranty against software problems anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.