Hide linefeed and tab characters in xcode editor

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by blomma, Jun 16, 2010.

1. blomma macrumors member

blomma

As can be seen in the screenshot the editor in xcode has started to show linefeeds and tab characters, normally invisible characters. I can't for the life of me find a way to hide them again and i have no idea why they started to show. Any ideas?

2. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

3. blomma thread starter macrumors member

blomma

Already tried that, doesn't work.
    I've also tried scraping my install of xcode and trashing all preference files and reinstalling, but no luck so far.

4. blomma thread starter macrumors member

blomma

Solved it, it was the bracket matching xcode plugin that caused it. Removing that restored order in the universe and xcode.

5. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

I wasn't aware Xcode had a supported plug-in architecture.

6. ThaGrapist macrumors newbie

It does have a plug-in API which is used by some of the components (like the version control and debugger, for example). However, Apple doesn't (as far as I know) provide any public documentation for it, but some developers have made plug-ins by reverse-engineering Xcode.

7. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

Thus my use of the word "supported".

I would never sacrifice the stability of my system or development environment by using unsupported, unsanctioned, methods of code injection.

8. blomma thread starter macrumors member

blomma

You do realize that xcode itself uses a boatload of plugins and that the only reason that the API isn't public at the moment is because apple doesn't consider it complete. Fair enough, i had a bit of unluck with the plugin i was using, but sometimes you have get a bit dirty to get what you need, and if that means writing against private API then so be it. As long as you are aware of the potential consequences i don't really se any harm in it.

9. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

Yes, I realize that, but would bet most here don't! And since it is not documented it most likely will change causing problems later.

10. chown33 macrumors 604

I might agree with "no harm" except for one thing: this thread. It began with your question, wherein you believed the problem was with Xcode, not with a plugin that you'd more or less forgotten about.

If the problem were with an app that is generally known to have plugins, such as Photoshop, then one of the first steps in diagnosing problems is to disable all plugins, or disable all but the standard plugins.

There was a time when one of the first suggestions for malfunctioning apps was to disable all Haxies or other InputManager extensions. Apple closed that loophole because it was a security risk, but I, for one, was glad that it also closed a destabilizing gateway that most people didn't understand.