Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mz100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
I have a jailbroken iPhone 4.

I have searched and couldn't find what I was looking for.
Here it is, is there an app that let's you hide the SMS preview on the lock screen only, but when the phone is unlocked you can see a preview of a message?

So basically I want to have a passcode on the phone, and on the lockscreen when I get a text I want it to say for example
"Michael"
text message

But
When the phone is unlocked and I am using it, I want the text message popup to show the preview, for example
"Michael"
What are you doing later?

When the phone is unlocked 99% of the time I am using it, but when it is locked and sitting on my desk or something everyone can see the last text someone sent me.

mz100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
bump
If this is not in cydia I am suprised BTW.

It seems simple, and I am sure alot of people would use it.

THE dAY

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
SFV California
Popup Blocker does what you're looking for.

Blocks many types of alerts/notifications/popups/warnings and can be customized through Settings app to block what you want when you want.

So you can set it up to block only SMS popups on lockscreen only.

In Cydia for .99 cents, I have it and would definitely recommend it for your specific need.

Infraggable Kru

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010
A) are you jailbroken ?
B) why do you need this level of privacy
C) You sound offended, it sounds like my comment hit too close to home ?

As far a stock iPhone OS the "Show Preview" setting is the only option allowed

mz100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
A) are you jailbroken ?
B) why do you need this level of privacy
C) You sound offended, it sounds like my comment hit too close to home ?

As far a stock iPhone OS the "Show Preview" setting is the only option allowed

A. Read the first line....
B. None of your business
C. Using your logic anyone who has text message preview disabled is cheating on a gf/bf.

Why the hell do you care so much of I am hiding something from someone, when in fact I am not... You suggested it I'n the first post and now you are acting as tho I owe you an explanation.

Many people have previews disabled on the lock screen, I want that but I want to see the message when my phone is unlocked, that is not sooooo secure.

mz100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Popup Blocker does what you're looking for.

Blocks many types of alerts/notifications/popups/warnings and can be customized through Settings app to block what you want when you want.

So you can set it up to block only SMS popups on lockscreen only.

In Cydia for .99 cents, I have it and would definitely recommend it for your specific need.

Thanks for the suggestion, web I tried it though. It didn't wouldn't give me the persons name or tell me it's a text message...that is something I want. Thanks for the suggesting tho

bullseyetech

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
London
there's an option in the settings tab under messages i think but there is one some where. so no jailbreaking needed for this :D

mz100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
there's an option in the settings tab under messages i think but there is one some where. so no jailbreaking needed for this :D

Yes, with that it disables the text preview on the lock screen and when you are using the phone (while in an app) I want the text preview to be disabled on the lock screen but enabled while I am using the phone

Infraggable Kru

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010
A. Read the first line....
B. None of your business
C. Using your logic anyone who has text message preview disabled is cheating on a gf/bf.

Why the hell do you care so much of I am hiding something from someone, when in fact I am not... You suggested it I'n the first post and now you are acting as tho I owe you an explanation.

Many people have previews disabled on the lock screen, I want that but I want to see the message when my phone is unlocked, that is not sooooo secure.

Cool no reason given = theres probably something else going on, there's no reason then to help you ( otherwise the standard text preview tab would be enough)

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion, web I tried it though. It didn't wouldn't give me the persons name or tell me it's a text message...that is something I want. Thanks for the suggesting tho

there are a lot of settings in BiteSMS

once you actually have it installed, you can specifically set what type of alert is displayed on the lockscreen and inside the phone

for example (and what I'd suggest in your case) you could set the lockscreen notification to be simply the name and "text message", and then set the homescreen to display the quick reply. That is just one of many ways you can customize BiteSMS. They really did think of pretty much everything with that app

mz100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
there are a lot of settings in BiteSMS

once you actually have it installed, you can specifically set what type of alert is displayed on the lockscreen and inside the phone

for example (and what I'd suggest in your case) you could set the lockscreen notification to be simply the name and "text message", and then set the homescreen to display the quick reply. That is just one of many ways you can customize BiteSMS. They really did think of pretty much everything with that app

Yeah isn't bitesms like $12 or something. That price is high for such a small tweak

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
Yeah isn't bitesms like $12 or something. That price is high for such a small tweak

you can download a free trial for a month, and after that continue to use it, but it will be ad supported. If you don't use it for anything other than the previews (you can also set which app texts open in, and of course, when you access texts directly, you can choose wether to open messages or BiteSMS), then you'll never see the ads.

So basically, BiteSMS will cause the notifications to do what you want, but for everything else, you'll use messages. Any texts sent from BiteSMS or received by BiteSMS are also fully accessable, editable, etc. from messages, and vice versa. So you could send a text with BiteSMS, and then view both the sent message and the reply in messages, and then send another message in the same conversation in messages. They interoperate very well

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
How about not sneaking around your girlfriend ?

Poor play.

Frankly, I've had my friends send me texts, in context or not, that I'd be lucky might only mildly offend my coworkers. There's also been texts with info that my coworkers just don't need to know.

And why would my coworkers see it? If I'm sitting at a table, sometimes I've my phone out of my pocket for easy use, and they'd be able to see it. I've even left it there while running to the restroom, etc. because I've trustworthy coworkers (always a plus :)

mz100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Poor play.

Frankly, I've had my friends send me texts, in context or not, that I'd be lucky might only mildly offend my coworkers. There's also been texts with info that my coworkers just don't need to know.

And why would my coworkers see it? If I'm sitting at a table, sometimes I've my phone out of my pocket for easy use, and they'd be able to see it. I've even left it there while running to the restroom, etc. because I've trustworthy coworkers (always a plus :)

I went with bitesms. Awesome app!

mz100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Sorry I didn't mean to quote what you said either.

So far I am very impressed by bitesms

Tos of awesome features.
My only compaint is that I wish I could change the ugly pink icon to the standard green messaging icon.

I read that I have to mess around with some ssh or something and I don't want to mess with that stuff unless it's really easy and anyone can show me to a detailed tutorial?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.