Hide Network? [Urgent]

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Randy53215, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Randy53215 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, as you can see I need to hide the network from users. (And I don't mean in the sidebar) This is for a school and I've been searching for hours trying to find a solution with no luck, so I'm turning to the biggest Mac community to see if I could get any help with this. :)

The problem occurring is that students that are logging into Mac are logging in using a Local account that we set up. (Mac User) until we get our Mac Server setup down the road. From there we have it auto mounting on login for users so that they get prompted with a login dialog box. Then once they login it pops up in finder, however if they changed their view settings (Command+3) then they can see the network. That wouldn't be a problem but the server it is connecting to is a Windows 2003 server and I'm not sure if it's Windows or Mac that's creating the biggest risk and issue but students can go and edit files that are vital to the servers functionality. (This is happening on the Mac end) It shows read and write abilities in "Get Info" then we login to our Windows Machine and it shows that they have full access. I'm not sure what's causing this I just need to be able to hide the network or figure something out to secure this.

Any questions feel free to ask I know this is a fairly long post and may not make sense.

Thanks.:cool:

Attached Files:

2. al2o3cr macrumors regular

It sounds like your Win2k3 box isn't configured correctly - what user are the students being connected to it as? "Hiding" the network isn't going to help if they can still use "Connect to Server" in Finder and pwnz0r the server, nor is it going to help if a student connecting with their own user account (what they presumably use to log into the Windows desktops) can change server files.

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

al2o3r is correct, the problem lies with the server, not the Mac. The best you could possibly do on the Mac side is make Network "hidden" but that wouldn't hinder even somewhat advanced users.

I'm willing to bet that if you tried the same thing with a different computer, you'd get the same result. You need to add in an authentication scheme for those folders so that only certain users can edit them.

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

On the windows 2003 server, if you are using Active Directory (should be), then you need to set the account that you have the MacUser logging in as to a non-administrative level. You can create group level permissions, or set permissions per user, but for them to be able to change system files, you must have them set up as administrators somewhere.

You need to lower the access level to a user only type group. There is a lot of info out there on this if you are not familiar with it. I wish I could give you more specific advice on where to change and what to change, but I usually have to stare at a 2003 server for a while before I get a feel for how it's configured.

Anyway, hope it helps a little.

5. Randy53215 thread starter macrumors newbie

We solved the permissions issue, we just need to find a way to hide the network finder option in finder, like in my original post attachment. Is there any way to do this?:confused: