Hide Software Update in Mavericks?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by evangw, Oct 29, 2013.

1. evangw macrumors regular

I recently upgraded to the lastest iWork '09, but the App Store keeps asking me to downgrade to iWork '13, and there's seemingly no way to "hide update" in Mavericks. Does anyone know how to take care of this? I've completely deleted the new Keynote, Pages, etc, but I can't figure out how to stop the App Store from bugging me with a reminder every day. I would rm the entire App Store itself, which I've never used, but I see that future OS updates will be delivered via this mechanism.

I guess I could chmod 000 it until I want to check for OS X updates, but I was wondering if there was a better, more specific solution to stopping unwanted updates.

Seriously it's as annoying as the Windows XP auto-updates were. At least there's no danger (yet??) that it will restart my computer at inopportune, random times, like XP did.

2. ufkdo macrumors 6502

In App Store, you can right click on the app in the updates tab, then there should be an option to ignore the update. If that does not work, just run the update and then cancel the download. I guess it should not bug you ever again.

3. evangw, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

evangw thread starter macrumors regular

While there certainly should be an option, there isn't. There is also no way to "cancel the download", which is also bizarre but is "in tune" with iOS. It also no longer even shows the download progress--you have to actually check your /Applications folder to see how far it is. (God forbid you want an 'estimated time remaining'.)

In the update 'options menu', there are instead 'new' features that literally no one uses:

Copy Link [ok that's used]
    Tell A Friend [maybe used once per day by all combined users]
    Share on Twitter [?????]
    Share to Facebook [?!?!?!?!]
    Share in Messages [maybe used once per decade]

I don't know why developers seem to think that literally everything needs to have a "Share on Twitter" and "Share on Facebook" menu item, while removing options that might actually be useful.

On one hand I like how Mavericks increased my battery life by like 30%, OTOH it's one further step on the road towards iOS hell that Mountain Lion started. Not that I think OS X has gotten there yet, but did Apple not notice what a horrible rollout Windows 8 had? Oh well, at least we don't have to jailbreak our computers (yet).

4. jdonbay macrumors newbie

I miss being able to right click and "Hide Update" ...I am also being repeatedly asked to "downgrade" to the new pages software, even though iWork '13 is completely removed from my computer.

It is so depressing that the mac os has been recently trending to simplify and "dumb-down" all of their software. I think it's about time apple split osx into a regular and "pro" version. Otherwise we're going to end up with a single os designed for idiots.

I'm tired of being told how to use my computer apple! -end rant.

Anyone find a work around for the issue perhaps? I have a handful of programs I want to remain legacy versions and it's a pain picking and choosing every time there's a new batch of updates ready.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

They seem to have special-cased the iWork apps, insisting on the download. And once downloaded they become the default which you cannot change (the Info window doesn't let you change the default!). However some people have discovered that moving the new iWorks apps out of /Applications will cause the default to go back to the old versions, but you are still stuck wasting disk space.

Lodge your complaints with Apple at apple.com/feedback.

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Thank you for that tip! I thought that I was doing it (setting a new default) wrong or that it was just one of the many bugs in Mavericks. They can pull those shenanigans on my iPhone and iPad but when they start doing that on my MBP, they're treading on thin ice. :mad:

7. R2FX macrumors member

I just managed to hide horrible iTunes 12 update in the OS X store - just hover cursor anywhere on the text that describes the update, press right click et voila! Hide update option comes up.... really fcked up way of dealing with this, I'm getting more and more annoyed at Apple for thinking long time users are idiots

8. shled macrumors newbie

If that was Mavericks, its broken again in Yosemite.

9. R2FX macrumors member

yes, 10.9.5... not planning to upgrade my 2012 MBP 15"

OS X 10.10 and other next stuff is optimized for Retina displays, period. It does and will look crap on older machines and I'd rather stick with Aqua than sip on Ive(trans)lucency coctail which still makes me vomit

10. sharon22 macrumors regular

LOL -- your writing style is identical to mine; I thought I wrote it myself! :D

BTW, I agree with everything you said. (So much so, that I posted it on Twitter and shared it on Facebook :)

You did forget to rant about the "Cloud," though :D