Hide things in Shared/other questions I might post

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 1nteresting, Nov 7, 2008.

1. 1nteresting macrumors member

1nteresting

I just received my first Mac in the mail today... so this is the thread I'll be asking questions... as I know I'll find a few things that I'll need to figure out as I'm working/playing on it. I will always try to search for an answer before I post, however.

My first question is...
    I get this, and I want to hide everything except "friend", I don't want to see them.

[​IMG]

2. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

When you are in the "Finder" window, go up to the menu bar and click on "Finder". Then click on "Preferences". Click on the tab that says "Sidebar" and you can check and un-check what you do and don't want to see.

That should take care of that.

3. 1nteresting thread starter macrumors member

1nteresting

4. 1nteresting thread starter macrumors member

1nteresting

Lacie

I got another question:

I have a Lacie hard drive which I would like to reformat it so I could use it on my Mac. How do I do that?

The drive may have problems, as it doesn't even show up when I plug it in. And on the PC I can't reformat it.

Update to first question:
    After I restarted my Mac, "friend" didn't display. I had to go back into Finder preferences and check "Bonjour Computers" for everything to display again... I can't select individual drives or computers, apparently.

5. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

To the update to your first question, that is beyond the scope of what I know, hehe. I know nothing of Bonjour, I find it odd the other computers reset and don't show themselves.

Now to your second question, you said the hard drive wasn't recognized when you plug it into Windows either. Plug the drive in and see if you can feel it spin. It should be a constant spin/hum. It is ok for slight vibrations but if it sounds like it is "ticking", you may have a physically damaged drive (this happened to my MacBook upgraded drive.)

Now that the hard drive is connected, go up to "Search" and look up "Disk Util" and click on the program. See if you can see the drive in there. If you can see it in there, click on it and go towards the top of the Disk Utility program and click on "mount". You can then format it through Disk Utility by going to the "Erase" tab and choosing the file system. If you want this drive to work with your Mac and a PC, you will have to choose "Fat". If you are only using this drive for your Mac, then choose "Mac Journaled". Personally I do all my drives as fat unless it is a direct backup of my system. You never know when your Mac might go down and you have to use a Windows machine for a while.

6. 1nteresting thread starter macrumors member

1nteresting

How do I find out if my Macbook Pro has LED back lighting?