Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pugly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Who here hides their menu? I don't remember what OS version this was introduced in. But this one feature does a lot for making the small screen usable.

Especially on the 11 inch I use... that vertical space is a precious commodity. I don't think I would have gotten the 11 inch without this OS feature. Hiding the menu and putting the dock on the side the computer makes it feel like a tablet sometimes.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I keep mine hidden, on the right. That reflects 1) vertical space is more valuable to me than horizontal and 2) I hardly ever use it any more. Cmd-space-[a few characters of an app name]-return is much more usable, at least for me. The downside is that I am less likely to see a bouncing icon, such ads when an IM comes in - especially with external monitor.
[d'oh! ]

Last edited:

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I keep mine hidden, on the right. That reflects 1) vertical space is more valuable to me than horizontal and 2) I hardly ever use it any more. Cmd-space-[a few characters of an app name]-return is much more usable, at least for me. The downside is that I am less likely to see a bouncing icon, such ads when an IM comes in - especially with external monitor.
They're talking about the menu bar at the top of the screen, not the dock ;)

I keep mine visible, even on my 11" Air. After many many years of having it there, I'm just too used to it :)

Reactions: Ulenspiegel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.