Hide your shared folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mikebuzzsaw, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

Whenever I login into my university network, I see a BUNCH of people under my shared tab in Finder. I then realized, they can probably see me too! Is there anyway I can hide myself? Be invisible?

2. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Go to System Preferences -> Sharing and uncheck everything. They should all be unchecked by default, I think. Simple as that. As long as they're unchecked, they can't see you.

Are many of the other computers using Windows? I heard that Vista actually has some sharing turned on by default. If that's right, how secure....

3. Mikebuzzsaw thread starter macrumors 6502

So when I'm file sharing at home and have that check on, I'd have to manually turn it off every time I go on campus?

4. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Yes, you'd have to do this to be invisible. Bit of a hassle but it's worth it, right? ;)

5. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Alternatively, you can set it up so that you can have password-protected shared folder access. This is how I have mine set up. That way, other people on campus will be able to see you have a shared folder, but they won't be able to access it or see what's inside.