HIDEF camcorders that work best with IMOVIE?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scubaskipper, Sep 2, 2009.

1. scubaskipper macrumors newbie

Looking at buying a new video camera and housing to shot underwater video. Also need a new computer for editing. IMOVIE looks awesome, especially the stabilization, underwater you always sway alittle. It looks like some cameras don't work as well as others. I would hate to get a camera that had to go through several different steps in the process before it almost works right. Most underwater housings only fit ONE camera, so what you get is what you're stuck with. The laptop has to be travel friendly and is used to edit the weekly video as well e-mails/ internet and burning the photos and video for the guests. It doesn't look like IMOVIE is fully compatable with AVCHD. Thanks for your input.

2. Locker macrumors 6502

Well I've currently got my Canon HG20 up on eBay, as I've hardly used it. Not because it's rubbish, but because I haven't had the time!

From when I have used it though I can honestly say it's a fantastic camera. It worked flawlessly with iMovie on my iMac, importing 1080 footage right out of the box. My 13" MacBook, on the other hand, could only handle a lower res input due to either the processing power or hard disk speed - can't remember which. So that's something to look out for, maybe opt for a MacBook Pro and upgrade the HDD to a 7200rpm one.

I don't know much about underwater equipment, but it looks like you can get it.

3. Concorde105 macrumors newbie

Maybe it's because of the screen res on your MacBook, Locker.

Anyways, I don't know what kind of underwater cameras work, but hopefully you'll find one and love it. :D

...lol.