Hideously slow web-browsing with Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mbeisen, Jan 25, 2008.

1. mbeisen macrumors newbie

I recently replaced my old Linksys router with an Airport Extreme Base Station. And as soon as I did, I began to experience hideously slow web browsing, with pages often taking minutes to load.

I ran various speedtests, but they were all normal.

The problem is browser independent (Safari, Firefox even tried old Camino), and was not fixed by clearing caches, cookies, etc...

After searching the forums and reading about other peoples' similar experiences, I disabled ip6 on my computer (MacPro - 10.4.5), but that didn't help.

I did a hard reset on the router, and on the cable modem. I updated the firmware on the AEBS. No differences. So I reinstalled my old linksys and everything's back to normal (except the wireless isn't as good and it can't seem to handle video chatting in iChat, which the AEBS does fine, so I want to get the AEBS working).

Any other suggestions?

2. baygins macrumors newbie

I have the exact same issue that you have described. If you find a solution, I would like hear about that. If I find anything, I will post here as well.

3. ummon75 macrumors newbie

I was suffering from the same problem, but tinkered around a bit and fixed it. I'm not a networking guru by any means, just know enough to be dangerous, so this may or may not help anybody else.

In System Preferences/Networking I went into the Advanced area of my active connection and looked under the DNS tab. I recognized an DNS server that had an IP similar to that of an old router. I cleared it, and web browsing speeds are now normal. Maybe check your settings and see if you have a similar situation.

Hope this helps!