Hiding 2 of my 3 partitions?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by chrf097, Jun 11, 2015.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I have a WD Elements 1TB 3.0 Portable external drive that I use with my computer. It's been broken into 3 partitions.

The first is my normal "Portable" drive, about 600GB, that I use to store things like my VMs, FCPX libraries, etc. It's exFAT because I need to be able to use it across multiple computers both OS X and Windows.

The second is my Time Machine backup, Mac OS Extended, and it's 250GB.

The final is my "Windows Extras", around 150GB, and is formatted NTFS, because I want to store certain Windows applications on it to have room on my SSD for more important things. It's ONLY for use with my Bootcamp partition.

Now, is there a way I can hide my "Windows Extras" partition from appearing in Finder, or, at the very least, from the Desktop? I still want to be able to see the Time Machine drive and the Portable drive, however. I tried searching but I didn't really find anything useful other than to turn off all the drive icons.

Also, since it's a portable drive, when I unplug it (after safely ejecting of course), will the assigned hidden properties stay?

2. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

In the finder you can just remove it from the sidebar, no idea if that solution is a 'sticky' one though

3. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I use variants on this AppleScript I wrote back in 2010 to change Desktop visibility.
    It still works under Yosemite
    Code:
    -- Drive Visibility Toggler
    -- BP 2010 - November 2014 (Yosemite tightened restrictions, so System Events won't set visible flag easily any more)
    -- Toggles the desktop visibility of an individual drive. This does NOT affect visibility in file Dialogs.
    -- Finder prefs for visibility are preserved, simply superceded by this lower level flag.
    -- Won't work on boot partition, or bootable partitions without either sudo or admin privileges.  (UNIX -> GetFileInfo SetFile)
    -- Using Admin privileges, it will sometimes ask for admin password. That's as it should be.

-- If you use it on a network drive, visibility changes will affect all users. Don't be a jerk.
    -- Invisibility will survive unplugging drive and attaching it to another Mac.

-- You must manually target the drive by inserting its name correctly in the next line of code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------- user settable variables
    set drivename to "Tardis" -- **** Set this to the name of the drive you want to act on. ****
    ----------- end of user settable variables
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

set quoteddrivename to quoted form of drivename
    try
        set attribs to (do shell script "GetFileInfo -a /Volumes/" & quoteddrivename) as text
    on error
        beep (1)
        return
    end try

try
        considering case
            if attribs contains "v" then
                do shell script "SetFile -a V /Volumes/" & quoteddrivename with administrator privileges
            else
                do shell script "SetFile -a v /Volumes/" & quoteddrivename with administrator privileges
            end if
        end considering
    on error
        beep (1)
        return
    end try
    do shell script "killall Finder" -- Restart the Finder to show changed visibility

I Find toggling works better than setting to a specific state, because whenever I want to run this script, it's because I want to Change the vis state of a drive. "Tardis" of course, is a Time Machine volume.