Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
My wonderful roomie has a fetish for messing with my watch when I'm in the shower.

Anyway, he managed to commit the cardinal sin of allowing the Series 4 Space Grey Stainless Steel Milanese band to rub against the Sapphire screen, causing a lovely grey rivet against both the screen and case.

I'm not expecting to be able to remove it, and it's not really financially worth committing to a screen replacement of an S4 watch - especially when the waterproofing works perfectly.

But, does anyone have any tips for maybe masking this so it's less visible given I, shockingly, stare at my watch all the time.

Cheers!
tempImageCYQRyP.jpg
tempImageckd96B.jpg

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Isn't sapphire harder than the metal in the band??
Not necessarily. Watch crystals made of synthetic sapphire are often marketed as “scratch resistant” or “virtually scratchproof”. They are difficult to scratch but certainly not impossible and can be marked by materials that incorporate silicon carbide such as some steels.
As a long-time watch collector and also Apple vintage products of interest (without an Apple watch I hasten to add), I would always ensure that a flexible steel bracelet never comes into contact with any watch crystal.
Scratches on watch crystals can be removed by careful buffing and the use of diamond paste, but one must be very careful to ensure the crystal doesn't get too hot if using a low-speed buffing wheel.
There are on-line videos which show the procedure on traditional watches, but whether this is wise on an Apple watch I have no idea.

xnview

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
Sapphire will scratch against rocks or metal, if you hit a edge, it doesn’t even need to be that hard. I had a Rolex few years ago, with a sapphire crystal that got quite some scratches from a metal shelf that were on my former job, when I occasionally graced it every now and then.

Most watch smiths will not try to buff it out, most doesn’t even know that you can. I have buffed some scratches out from different watch crystals from omega, seiko, Hamilton etc, and if you haven’t tried it before, you should not try it for the first time on a curved sapphire edge, it’s like learning to ride a bicycle, starting with a one wheeled bicycle?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Crazy Idea here, Why not have roomie pay for repairs ? Next time you shower make sure he/she has something to play with.
This, obviously. He who smelt it, dealt it. Or, maybe not that one ... but yeah. Your roommate damaged it, so your roommate can pay to have it repaired or replaced.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Pfff that’s why I never let that band or anything similar anywhere close to my watch. I initially planned on getting it but after doing some research definitely not work. Seems very deep, not sure there is a way to hide that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.