Hiding a file inside an image file.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NightFalcon, Apr 22, 2009.

1. NightFalcon macrumors newbie

Inspired by this article : http : / / w ww . online-tech-tips . com/computer-tips/hide-file-in-picture/

[remove spaces]

I decided to attempt the same thing on a mac.

I managed to successfully hide the file:

cat picture.jpg hidden.rtf.zip > picture2.jpg

results in a picture (picture2.jpg) that is the size of the sum of picture.jpg and hidden.rtf.zip. I presume this means that I am successfully putting hidden into the picture.

I can open picture2.jpg, but I can't figure out a way to access the hidden zip.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much in advance! Have a great day.

2. alan1l macrumors newbie

Try: unzip picture2.jpg

It dumped all the zip contents on my desktop. This is very interesting, thanks for sharing it.

3. NightFalcon thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah thanks! I'd tried renaming the resulting jpg to .zip. Didn't think of just unzipping the .jpg. Thanks again! Glad you found it interesting... =]

4. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

i am not sure if you are just messing around or actually want to hide a file, but if you create a disk image in disk utility and password it, it effectively does the same thing. ie you are unable to look inside the 'disk' unless you type in the password. i have not checked if you can access it through terminal, but i highly doubt you can without the password.

5. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

But all this method does is append another file to the end of a picture. Programs like File Juicer will spot these right away. Find a decent steganography application for OS X and it will spread the file to be hidden around inside of the picture so that it won't be so easy to find. Some will even handle encrypting the file first and then hiding the resulting cryptext inside of the picture. If you are really looking to hide a file, this is the way to do it.

6. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Trying to hide some nude photos from someone?:D