hiding "all" filename extensions possible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by the editor, Apr 12, 2011.

1. the editor macrumors regular

Hi like the title sais, is it possible to hide every filename extension?

i know its possible working via the "get info - hide extension" but since i got like tons of pictures, video's etc its to much of a hassle.

Also when i go to "finder-preferences" there is the option to "show all filename extensions" but that one isn't activated anyway.

can someone help out here, also important is that i can just switch between showing filename extension and hiding when needed.

2. the editor thread starter macrumors regular

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Sorry I can't help you but I wonder why this bothers you. All the years I used windows, the thing that most annoyed me was that the OS shipped with "hide extensions" turned on by default. This meant that readme.txt.wsh looked like readme.txt on the screen and this was true in Outlook and is how a lot of malware spreads. I prefer to see file extensions so I can compare the icon with the extension and see what program the OS thinks I should use to open a file and I can make a decision rather than simply double clicking and taking my chances. This is particularly true around the office where most image formats are associated with our CAD software and no I don't really want to load a gig and a half executable into memory so I can look at a snapshot of one of my kids or view a fax that came through as a tif file attachment.

I'm not sure there is a way to do this in OS X but I suggest viewing all file extensions is a good computing practice. Maybe it's a habit I developed avoiding malware from my windows days, but I prefer to see every extension for every file in every finder window on my system. If you still want to hide them all I can say is good luck with that. If you are ever bitten by unexpected behavior when you open a file assuming it's a jpg when it was really a png, try to remember back to today when "I told you so..." :p

4. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Using the show all file extensions under finder preferences is the only way I know of. How you tried to check and uncheck?