"Hiding" apps from alt-tab

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Peck02, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Peck02 macrumors newbie

I've been trying to improve my work flow and one annoying part I keep encountering is the clutter in my "alt-tab" list. I was wondering, is there a way to remove programs like quicksilver or mail from the alt tab list?

Thanks!

2. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking (my keyboard doesn't have an alt or a tab key)....but, can't you just close programs (like mail) that you're not using?

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

alt is also known as option. On UK keyboards (there are probably others) the opt(ion) key is labeled alt.

Also the tab key is the one which looks like -->|, just above the caplocks key on the left hand side of the keyboard.

I guess the OP means cmd+tab which brings up the application switcher

Untitled.jpg

The only way I know that hides applications from this list is by changing a setting in the info.plist of the application itself, however this hides it from the dock as well. Not exactly sure that this is a good solution to the problem.

Or that guess could be wrong and it could be a quicksilver shortcut to its own application switcher in which case I have no idea, as I don't use quicksilver.

4. Peck02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, you're right. Ya I was wondering if there was something I c.an edit so that it wouldnt show up on cmd-tab list. How would you do the fix you talked about with the info.plist? If anyone knew a way to keep it on the dock but remove it from teh cmd-tab list, that would be even better!

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Simple, don't open them.

6. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Just out of curiosity, what program does that stamp icon go to??

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's probably a custom Mail icon.

8. Trip.Tucker Guest

What you're suggesting is a redesign of the way option (alt) + tab works which is not really in the realm of expected end use. You may want to consider using another utility to switch between running applications, but with a predefined list of 'allowed to show' application. You will have to get your hands dirty with some scripting however.

Check out iKey: link

9. TheVendor macrumors member

You may also want to check out Witch.

10. killercatfish macrumors newbie

killercatfish

What setting is this within the plist?

11. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Sorry I don't have a detailed answer to your plist question but you do realize you are waking up a 2 year old thread for this, right? And you do realize that when you manage to find the setting in the plist, it will make the app invisible in the dock as well as cmd+tab, right?

I tend to use cmd+tab quite a bit because I use windows all day at work and mac at home, but there is always expose. It shows you all the windows at once and might prove easier than cmd+tab which is more familiar to windows users who don't have anything like expose.