hiding / faking my ip

Discussion in 'macOS' started by poohat1000, Dec 18, 2007.

1. poohat1000 macrumors 6502

poohat1000

Some sites get my ip when i visit them, anyone know of a way i can fool them into thinking i am someone else each time i visit ?

2. wightstraker macrumors regular

Tor will do the trick, there's a firefox plugin for it too. Trouble is it relies on the bandwidth of other users (read: slow) so it's not good for dedicated browsing.

3. poohat1000 thread starter macrumors 6502

poohat1000

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Mind if I ask why? There's really no reason to do this......

5. wightstraker macrumors regular

Security concerns. An IP address can tell anyone where you are, and be used to track what you're doing online. Both the RIAA and the DOJ issue subpoenas to find out who's behind an IP address, and often with questionable motives.

Also, if you're in a not so friendly country (e.g. Egypt, China, etc.), less scrupulous governments often use IP tracking to make sure you're not doing anything too uppity, especially if you're a visiting American. A friend of mind spent a semester in Egypt only to later discover that local bigheads had been tracking his online habits - all using his IP address.

6. poohat1000 thread starter macrumors 6502

poohat1000

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wirelessly posted (HTC_P4350 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12))

I know exactly what an IP address is...I didn't go through a year of training for a Cisco certification to not know what an IP address is. But, theres no point unless you're doing something illegal. the most the average joe can do with an IP is determine the ISP that owns it, and depending on how the ISP assigns FQDNs to their IPs, determine what city the IP is in.

8. wightstraker macrumors regular

I meant no offense on my earlier post, don't get me wrong. I guess IP anonymity is simply a matter of personal taste (namely how paranoid you are). The DoJ and friends have gotten pretty liberal with their definition of "illegal" in recent years. I don't see harm in a little precaution.

9. SanDiegoJB macrumors newbie

We do a lot of things we don't need to do. We buy decorations for our houses, we get caller ID for our phones, we eat large portions of food, etc. Things we do every day we don't need to do but do because it gives us a sense of harmony and comfort. Wight said it correctly, some people are paranoid and to ease the tension of being paranoid they need to acquire certain or useless goods. If these people feel safer and more secure on their computer by blocking IP recognition, then so be it.

This reminds me of my uncle not wanting to sign on one of those credit card machines, thinking that they can store the signature while people could just as well scan (digitize) their inked signature. I always though it was ridiculous of him to go out of his way and not sign the apparatus, but hey, it made him feel better and more satisfied. :)

10. rhyndu macrumors regular

I wouldn't use Tor...

WARNING: Tor has been proven to be vulnerable to attacks with malicious servers (is that the right word?) A Tor server (able to be run by anyone) could potentially read all the data you send via it.

I'd use something like Proxify...:)