Hiding iMac external storage: how?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jimthing, Jul 23, 2013.

1. jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

I have two Promise Pegasus R6's for storage and backup. The issue is they make too much noise (not a massive amount, but still annoying) in my environment, and I NEED PEACE AND QUIET!

Can someone recommend a storage idea for putting them in some kind of box/cupboard/closet/enclosure, or something else?

I've tried Googling for an actual product to do this, but all search terms tried just bring-up enclosures for putting plain HDD's into, and not for storing away the loud enclosures themselves (what are these things called anyway??).

Surely there's SOME product out there for this type of situation? Preferably some way that's not going to keep the heat in too much, and can let it escape/circulate. Places like studios and the like must use some solution for this, when they cannot just move them into a server room of their own...? :confused:

Ideas greatly welcomed.

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

You can get a Thunderbolt optical cable... and put the drives in a different room. I've seen product briefs of 10 to 30 meter cables. The only place I've seen them for sale is in Amazon Japan... and they are extremely expensive... several hundred dollars.

/Jim

3. jimthing thread starter macrumors 65816

jimthing

They're prototypes surely, as the >3m Tbolt cables use an optical test-version (original LightPeak) of Tbolt, whereas official Tbolt v1/v2 uses copper only?

Anyway, NO. Too expensive if true, and it's got to be in same room anyway.

Any other ideas? Surely you can buy a low noise container for these things? I just have no idea on this stuff, or what to even search for...?

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have a single Pegasus R4, and I keep it under my desk on a carpeted floor. I can hear it just a little if I listen carefully, but it's not nearly as noticeable as when it was sitting on my desk.

Of course, I have 4 drives spinning, where as you have 12.

/Jim

----------

Also... I see that you have double posted this in two forums. It is against MR rules... so you may want to delete the other.

/Jim

5. Aslevik macrumors newbie

Aslevik

hiding

Hi

I have the same problem, though with just one R6.
    I have hid it in a black box with about this shape, and added some cardboard in it on the sides and on the front. The back is open. Wrapped a large black t-shirt around it to hide the ugly cardboard and put it in a corner beside my desk.
    I can still hear it, and when its hot outside the fans makes more noise, but the bloddy :mad: vibrations is gone and I have slightly less noise.

Hmm, I think i will change the setup soon.

6. jimthing, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

jimthing thread starter macrumors 65816

jimthing

Found it!...

The 30 metre one is the only one still available (the other two, 10m & 20m, look to have been withdrawn):
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00ATUEKAM

~£550/US$750 though for 30 metre one!
    Or £18/US$25 per metre, which actually sounds quite reasonable on a per-metre costing compared to all the non-optical versions.
    But obviously one would expect to get some decent pricing economies buying such long lengths! Is "optical wire" (i.e. outside of the connector i/o controller plug-heads themselves) really that expensive per metre??

But it looks to have so many issues:
    • unpowered.
    Obviously being optical only. But not that difficult to deal with, as most devices have direct power anyway.

• version support?
    Does this support Tbolt v1 AND upcoming v2? And more poignantly, will it support all future Tbolt speeds / standards (given it's optical)?
    (we haven't even been advised whether we can use our current non-optical copper Tbolt cables for Tbolt v2 yet??)

• withdrawn/not sold outside Japan: why?
    If they withdrew the 10 & 20m versions, doesn't look like a product one would want to buy-into as it looks like they may not be proven to fully work yet, and certainly not at that per-metre pricing for sure. Perhaps they can't be bothered to sell outside Japan because next to no one would buy at that price, so until they can lower the production cost, they simply aren't bothering to distribute internationally?

Too many questions here.

7. jimthing thread starter macrumors 65816

jimthing

Is it like what they call a "server rack" type of thing? (or more Ikea, lol?)

I just found that and searched around under that search term, and they might be what I'm kind of looking for, provided they're not really ugly.

And some seem to have the option to have a fan unit in them too – but are they gonna be just as noisy as the R6's themselves is what I wonder? So I'd get heat dissipation but the noise would then come form these fans instead of the R6's themselves?!

I literally know zero about server racks?! Anyone got any experience of simple ones for home use?

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

There are two companies that have announced optical TB cables are Sumitomo and Corning. I was under the impression that they should have been in production by Q2/Q3... but I have not seen them yet available for mass distribution. Once they are, I would expect a drastic price reduction... but I would suspect they would still be expensive by consumer standards. TB cables are already dirt cheap by commercial standards compared to other ultra high speed interfaces such as InfiniBand, Fibre Channel, etc.

I know they work, as I have seen them demoed.

Power distribution is a non-issue... since almost anything that you would want remote would be a self powered device (like a Pegasus). Even so, if I remember right, one of the companies might have put a copper wire into the bundle to distribute power. I am not positive, since that is a feature that I wouldn't care about.

I am pretty sure that TB2 would not be an issue because the physical interconnect is the same. From recollection, TB2 just allows combination of the two 10Gb channels into a single channel if one is otherwise unused.

/Jim