Hiding IP address?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ruds, Feb 9, 2011.

1. ruds macrumors newbie

Apologies if this isn't the right place for this question or if the question subjects isn't actually correct. Here is my problem.

I am from the UK although for the next month I am in the US. I have a betting account in the UK which I actually use as a source of income as well as fun :rolleyes: However I cannot access it from the US because of the site's (William Hill) restrictions. Is there a way of hiding where I am so that I am able to login to the site? For the first two weeks of my trip it was working fine and now they have blocked my login, possibly after I tried withdrawing funds.

Once again I'm sorry for this being off topic but I can't think of anywhere else to put this and I am using a mbp if that gives it some relevance :)

Thank you

2. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

you cant hide your ip, any website you visit, your ip will show up.

but you can change it, personally the easiest way to change it IMO is a mac address clone then disable after 5 mins and you will get a new IP.

also if you are trying to break the websites restrictions based of GEO Location, i dont think anyone can help as helping break rules if against macrumors TOS.

3. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Use a proxy or a find a VPN provider with servers in the UK.

The VPN route would be more secure.

4. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

5. ruds thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help guys, I'll follow up the suggestions and see if I can get logged in, I appreciate you help and sorry if I've broken any rules :)

6. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Yes, VPN is the way to go (only use paid service if doing something that needs security).

Its not illegal. I use it all the time as I live in the Middle East temporarily, but use a U.S. VPN so I can still purchase stuff from Amazon, Ebay, watch Hulu, etc.

7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

8. ender land macrumors 6502a

A lot of financial websites or banks will lock out accounts if you withdraw money overseas.

I would try contacting them regarding that first as based on what you have said that seems likely.

9. ruds thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that is exactly what I think caused it, I tried to withdraw money and since then I cannot log back in. I emailed them and they said WH was not available in the US and I figured they had some way of monitoring where I was as a result. Maybe I can get someone to log back in from the UK and that will remove the lock until I try withdrawing again from the US (which I won't :D)

Thank you once again!

10. lvick macrumors newbie

I use Hotspot Shield, its free and does the job. Its free because they put ad's on webpages you load while it is active.

11. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I use hotspot shield as well.
    Works fine but be aware because its not the fastest.

12. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

ive used free proxy services in the past just for fun for a short time to try and be more private but it was to slow for me for everyday use. However I think its what others have mentioned and your bank locked it because they saw this guy is from uk and it was accessed from usa so they locked it. so a proxy may not be needed.

13. joeycool macrumors member

joeycool

14. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You could also just setup a VPN with your home Internet in the UK. Or that of parents or friends. Whoever has a Desktop PC or fancy router with a flatrate.
    It is free and not as annoyingly slow as public proxies which are darn hard to find too.
    Private VPN clients exist a lot. I think one is called hamachi or something similar.

15. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

If you have a machine running in the UK, you could use something like LogMeIn to remote control your desktop and do what you want from there.

16. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

I feel it is my duty to reply to this thread :D
    There are two different approaches to this problem:

Onion routing - Tor
    Garlic routing - I2P

Choose which is more convenient and suitable for your needs ;)