hiding mounted drives on desktop?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sceneshifter, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Hey,
    When hooking up my external HD, it shows ALL the partitions (like 10) on the desktop. This is extremely annoying as I like my desktop clean and neat.

Can someone tell me how to disable this random showing on the desktop when hooking up my external HD?

Thanks!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Through Finder Preferences>General. Make sure "External disks" is deselected.

Attached Files:

3. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

4. daddy macrumors member

Just joined the forum and the tip was great and solved a problem for me also. Worth the "price of admission"! Chose this forum as it is identical in structure to the Wooden Boat forum I have used for years. Makes it easy to navigate. I am sure I will have many questions as I just got a iMac this past week and have been trying to set it up to run on a LAN wirelessly. Was able to get it on the internet thru the wireless router but not able to get it to see the PC running XP that is connected to the internet via router/modem and ethernet cable. Any suggestions of where to look on the forum for that info would be appreciated.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Start a new thread in the Mac Basics & Help section. We'll be waiting for ya...

6. daddy macrumors member

Thanks for the response and unfortunately I didn't see your reply before I started a new post in this forum. Would be glad to repost in the "Mac basic" forum if needed.
    thanks