Hiding my Windows Bootcamp Partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nwndarkness, Nov 24, 2008.

1. nwndarkness macrumors newbie

I use Bootcamp to run Windows on my mac, but when I am in OSX it shows the Windows partition as an "unknown" titled drive on my desktop. Is there a way to hide this? I was thinking it would be as easy as dragging it to the trashcan, but that would eject it. It would also just appear as soon as I restarted.

2. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Very easy!

1) Remove the disk icon from your finders left side bar.
    2) Boot into windows, and rename the disk label to anything that starts with "."

Example .Winblows

Dot in front of file names in unix, means that the file / directory is hidden.
    It wont show anymore on your desktop, and if i remember right, it wont even be mounted by default :)

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

it will be mounted its just invisible in Finder.

there are three ways. what nwndarkness just explained, enabling write access and setting it as hidden using "chflags hidden /Volumes/untitled" in Terminal (similar to renaming with a period) or manually or using a login script to unmount (eject).

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Actually I'll suggest a 4th way too (similar to chflags)- as is works very nice to just use the Terminal to make the icon invisible by entering:

SetFile -a V "/Volumes/Drive Name Goes Here"

To restore visibility to the icon, just enter again and substitute a lower case v, as in:

SetFile -a v "/Volumes/Drive Name Goes Here"

I use that for the Boot Camp partition and my Time Machine drive as well. Anybody have a 5th way?

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ do you need Dev tools installed to use SetFile? im not sure as ive always had it installed and i sometimes use MacPilot too which also uses SetFile (in its resources folder).