Hiding things from Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThirtyThr33, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Hey MR,

I was considering reapplying the thermal paste on my MBP when I finally get it, and I know it's supposed to void the warranty, but what if I apply it and it works/ doesn't screw anything up? Like if I apply new paste and say like 6 months later I need them to repair my MBP? Will they check for that? How will they know I re-did my paste? My dads been doing computer mods for a while so I'm confident he can do a good job but I'm nervous about voiding a warranty. :(

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why?

If there is no problem with the Mac when you get it then there is no problem! If there is a problem take it to Apple to get a repair/replacement.

It's not worth risking the loss of an expensive MBP.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'd leave it and if anything happens, Apple with take care of it. If I were to take a part my Mac, I'd do after the warranty expires, never during it.

4. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

i don't think it will void ur warranty. unless in the middle of the TP replacement you drop a cup of water on it.

As long as you don't BREAK anything while doing the TP replacement, I think it's okay. my opinion.

i'm waiting for my new replacement TP... will be doing it this weekend.

5. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Do you change the spark plugs on your brand new car when you get it? No.

Do you take the back off your brand new plasma TV and reapply the thermal paste on the PSU heatsinks? No.

Why on EARTH would you break a new laptop apart and reapply thermal paste? :rolleyes:

6. ThirtyThr33 thread starter macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Well the reason I ask is because according to many people on here, the quality of the paste that Apple uses, and the job they do putting it on isnt ideal. Many people say that replacing the thermal paste will keep it a lot cooler and the fans wont have to run so high.

7. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

finished my TP replacement:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12867160&highlight=#post12867160

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

9. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

Actually yes. Pull them and apply never-seize.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

don't believe everything you read or hear ... you are asking to void your warranty

11. mbmobile macrumors member

I do not understand where the point is.

If your Mbp will overheat (very unlikely) it will shutdown itself.
    If it happens too often, it means there is a problem and Apple will fix it under warranty.
    If you mess up with something, to apply the TP you need to quite totally dismantle your MBP, your warranty is likely to be voided and you'll remain with a nice aluminum paperweight.

Ok you will likely reduce the CPU heat by 10/15% but which will be the real benefit you'll gain? Less power consumption? More speed? Less fan noise?

To me, unless you do not like doing these things, reapply the TP while on warranty is, comparing the risks and the benefits, just a waste of time.

MB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. badtzwang macrumors regular

The advantage is that you won't burn your ballsack ...

13. ThirtyThr33 thread starter macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

EXACTLY!

But in all actuality I think All if you are right. I'll just buy a thermal pad or cooling pad and call it good. At least until my warranty is up, then maybe ill play around a bit :p

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's definitely doable. Reapply the thermal paste, and as long as you don't break anything, Apple doesn't care. But if you DO break something, keep in mind that Apple charges about 2x what other companies would charge, to do a repair outside of warranty.

I did it to my 2006 MBP, and it worked wonders. About a year later Apple replaced my battery, power board, and mayybe something else in an attempt to keep my power brick from failing about once every 6 months. They never once gave me trouble for the thermal paste, which I'm sure they saw wasn't Apple OEM.

15. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I reapplied mine as soon as I got it and didn't have any problems taking it apart. Heat is something that degrades components over time, so I wanted to make sure it never got too hot from the start. I also installed a transmission cooler in my car as soon as I got it and did in fact reapply thermal paste to my PS3.

I highly doubt that Apple would think my gray paste isn't their gray paste (unless they see that it's been applied too well to be an Apple job :D )

16. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

as far as running cooler, my fans only turn on audibly when i am playing games or using a program like handbrake. It shouldn't be a problem.