Hiding/Unhiding Folders & Files

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by tommyburns13, Apr 18, 2014.

1. tommyburns13 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of a way to hide/unhide files without having to access the terminal?

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Shell scripting in AppleScript will do the job.
    Like this:
    Code:
    set buttonpressed to button returned of (display dialog "Show Hidden Files?" buttons {"Yes", "No"})

try
    	if the buttonpressed is "No" then do shell script "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles OFF"
    	if the buttonpressed is "Yes" then do shell script "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles ON"
    	do shell script "killall Finder"
    end try
    If you want to limit the effect to one file or folder only, you could shellscript the addition or elimination of a leading '.' from a single filename.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

....also if you are just looking for the Library folder just hold down the option key and select the Go menu.

4. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Most of the well known utilities, (Tinkertool, Cocktail, Onyx, MacPilot mavericks Cache Cleaner) have an option to show invisible files.

But if you do it often, Funter is the best...and put it in your startup items.

5. Felasco Guest

Here you go:

http://www.altomac.com/hide_folders/

What is Hide Folders?

Hide Folders is a freeware app for Mac OS X dedicated to protect documents and folders. With a click, conceals files and folders with all their contents. The application is simple and natural to use because it works just as you are used to do things everyday with your Mac. With this app you will protect your files avoiding them to be being modified, seen or erased by other users.

6. tommyburns13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a command to just hide individual files or folders?

7. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I assume you are replying to my recommendation for Funter, since it is obvious Hide Folders hides individual items.

Funter is simply a switch which makes all invisible files visible or invisible.

Secret Folder is another like Hide Folder

8. tommyburns13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Secret Folder looks like a good simple piece of software to use. I will look into this.

One further question, i have moved a hidden file over from a different HDD, with a can make visible using the terminal commands etc, but how do I make this permanently visable and not in a 'hidden' state?

9. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I am sure you can do it with a Terminal command but I will let someone else give you the exact syntax....or Secret Folder will do it. You will have to drag it to Secret Folder, which will then give the option to make it visible or invisible.

Note "dragging it into Secret Folder" is not moving the file from it's location, but bringing it under the control of Secret Folder in its present location.

10. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816