Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DSchwartz88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2006
Hey,

Ive been in the market for some high end speakers for my MBP/iPod/TV/what ever the hell else i can hook it up to. Anyways, as soon as i saw the Beolab3's i fell in love and then fell right out of love after seeing the ~3k price tag. I then moved on and found the XHiFi XDC-1's which again i loved, they look absolutely gorgeous and while i havent heard them like i did the Beolab3's i imagine they sound great as well. However, again the ~1k price tag hurts it for me. I really like the way the XDC-1's satellite speakers are shaped, and thats part of what im looking for in the speakers (that shape seems to be able to reproduce better sound than anything ive heard before). So if anyone has any ideas or has Beolab 3's or XDC-1's and are willing to give me other options or sell them to me that would be great. Im just looking for great speakers with that design without the killer price tag.

Thanks,
Daniel

clickclickw00t

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
get a good external soundcard and a pair of krk studio monitors

it's what i'm running, and you def won't be dissapointed.

good sound card : $100
KRKS: $400 for a pair

$500 for a very nice sounding, biamped speaker system.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Full surround sound from my MBP.

Front speakers 120 watt featuring two 8" speakers - £110
Rear speakers 80 watt (not shown) 6" pair - £79
Subwoofer 60 watt with a 12" bass cone - £69

JVC Home Cinema Amp (500 watts) - £149

Sound runs through optical out too rather than analogue leaving the amplifer to deal with the sound quality rather than the MBP.

Really good sound quality, freakin' fat punchy bass at a decent price. Reason it is so cheap is because I went to my local dealer and picked up everything seperately - it isn't sold as a complete unit.

Much better doing it that way, can upgrade to a better amp at a later stage etc if you wanted to rather than having a all ready made set that you probably won't be able to customize much.

speakers.jpg

rhcp128

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2007
dude

I run my mbp through a retro 95 sony hifi amplifier and eq and a pair of nice cerwin vega speakers (best "party speakers") :) Call me old fashioned but i don't like the whole suround sound sound. I think the mbp has a good enough audio out port. My advice is try to find yourself a good hifi amplifier and a pair of good speakers and you should get a pretty good sound. Try them out at the shop. In the end sound is a subjective thing and people have different tastes so your best bet is to try them out yourself. Don't trust specs they mean nothing! Try out the sound, if you like it close your eyes and just get it. Trust me if you are serious about hifi you won't regret spending the money :D

DSchwartz88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2006
i want something thats both ascetically please and sounds good. Notice i like the XDC-1's and Beolab3's they are both very beautiful speakers. Does anyone know of some very nice looking speaker i can check out. Call me an idiot but sometimes for me style is just as important than substance. And no offense but the ones Kilamite has are not my kind of style if you know what i mean.

Thanks,
Daniel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.