High amount of wired memory when safe boot

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by zepman, Feb 28, 2012.

1. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

When I enter safe boot I get a lot of wired memory. It makes the graphics really sluggish and the general performance slow.
    This only happens in safe boot. When booting normal the computer is as fast as always.
    Any idea why this occur? Should I be worried about this?

I'm on a MBP 13'' Mid '09 running 10.7.3. 2x4GB Kingston RAM

Screen Shot 2012-02-26 at 16.40.57 Wired Memory when Safe Boot.png

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why are you booting in safe mode in the first place? If everything works well in normal mode, there's no reason to boot in safe mode.

3. larkost macrumors 6502a

SafeBoot disables many of the Kernel Extensions, including ones for the GPU. So most of that wired memory is probably taking the place of the video memory that has been disabled. That is also why things are so slow (no hardware acceleration).

But in general GGJstudios is absolutely correct, you should not be in SafeBoot mode unless somehing is really going wrong.

4. zepman thread starter macrumors regular

zepman

The reason I was in safe boot was because I was troubleshooting a different problem. The high amount of wired memory was not present in safe boot on SL. I don't know if it has been present since 10.7 or if it started to occur in one of the later updates, because I'm normally not in safe boot.