High blood pressure?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Bobdude161, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I'm not one to be concerned about my health, but this is kinda freakin me out.

119/91 : pulse 70

I'm 20, 6'2" and 145 lbs.

Parents keep telling me that's bad.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Your systolic is fine, but your diastolic is pretty high, should be 80 or lower.

Also, 145 pounds is a little light for someone who is 6-2

3. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I am 5'10.5", 150lbs, and mine is has been 104/68 and 110/70 the last two times I checked.

One time I had a huge migraine so the nurse took my BP- it was like 130/85 or something.

You seem insanely underweight though.

4. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

:( i was afraid of that. I started checkin it a few days ago when I felt really dizzy for no apparent reason. Also i've been feeling little tingles in my legs. I'm goin to the doctor soon. Hopefully i don't die before then..............

5. skd macrumors 6502

you're fine.......if you want to get a handle on your blood pressure -
    go to a drug store and buy a monitor and check your blood pressure 4-5 times a day for a week - and then take the average. You'll be surprised how much it changes through out the day.
    cheers

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

91 isn't *that* high, you'll be fine until the next time you see your doctor, it's no emergency. Your doctor will decide what to do, it may be normal when he takes it, it may not be. And if it is, it's not the end of the world, hypertension is quite common. I have it (runs in my family, lucky me :rolleyes:), and I'm on medication for it, most likely for the rest of my life. As I said, it's rather common and as long as it's kept in check by either medication, diet, whatever, you have nothing to worry about.

7. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Judging from the fact that you were feeling light headed, feeling tingling in your legs, and 6'2", it could be that you actually had low blood pressure. Did you feel it when you were getting up? Also, your bp's pretty much within range--it can change quite a bit depending on how wound up you are, whether you've been exerting yourself, and even the time of day so one single reading is nothing to make a diagnosis by. It'd probably help if you gave more info like any meds your taking, whether your family has had heart probs in the past, how long you've felt this way, etc. Still, going to the doctor to get it checked out can't hurt.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

ummm no he is not insanely underweight. Hell by the BMI he is not even Under weight he is an 18.6, under weight is 18.5 and less. Also it is not a bad thing to be a little underweight. It is a good thing and is considered healthy.

Also do not worry about it. I am 24.5 year old, 6'4" and currently 155-160lb. When I was 16-17 years old I was 6'4" and a 150lb. I stated that weight until I was 21 years old all dang I put on 4-5lb. Since then I have gain less than 5.

Really you are just a healthy light weight and this guy is big time wrong. I also going to guess you are pretty young (HS age) and then it even more fine. You bones are lighter. After you stop growing you bones get a little thicker over time and get heavier. Plus you are still building up mass so it is ok to even be a little underweight for your height. BMI are based on fully developed adults which is not going to happen until you are in your early to mid 20's. You may stop growing vertically but your bone frame and mussels are still developing (which also means adding weight)

As for the light headed when you stand up. IT IS NORMAL. You are tall so when you stand up that is a pretty big chain in elevation for you brain. Add in the fact you are thin it makes it even easier to happen while you body adjust it blood pressure. It happens all the time. Hell in from time to time I stand up and yes get tunnel vision a few sec later and then it returns to normal. Mind you my blood pressure is lower than yours so it easier to happen.

9. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

How the hell do you get to be 6'2" and a 145 pounds? That almost seems to be defying the laws of physics. :confused:

10. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

what time of the day when you were taking the measurement? what did you eat and what were you doing?

most likely due to metabolism. i'm 5' 11" and was under 135 lbs a month ago. i did my best to gain ~ 5 lbs last month and am still trying to gain more mass. but i think i lost 2 lbs since school started. :D

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

dude read my post. Just because you can not get to that weight does not mean it is unhealthy. He is an extremely healthy weight.

Like I said before I am 155lb am 6; 4" tall and 155lb and I used to be 5lb lighter so it is not that freaky.

Man it really sad people calling 145 unhealthy. IT IS NORMALLY RANGE FOR BMI and anyone who is underweight though normal is considered healthy.

12. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Has anyone had any joy running that app for mac, from Bilt and Becker?

Looks like this:

Attached Files:

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Eh, I'm 5'10" and fluctuate between 125 and 135 lbs. What's the big deal?

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Some people just like making mountains out of mole hills. If you're healthy, it doesn't matter.

I'm 5'9" 190lbs. Almost everyone guesses my weight at 140-150 because I'm not covered in layers of fat. I just happen to be incredibly dense. (that didn't come out right). I have denser bones than average. To date, I've never had a broken bone despite numerous times fallout out of trees (I climbed a lot as a kid). Or getting hit by a car. Or getting kicked in the shin during a soccer match. I didn't have any shin guard, the other guy did. I got a nasty bruise about 3" in diameter. The other guy split his shin guard in half and broke his tibia.