Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
I was looking for a new 5S battery online and I came across this 2500mAh replacement internal battery. The standard OEM one that comes with the 5S is only 1560mAh. The extra 1000mAh would be amazing if it worked, but I'm still wary of 3rd party batteries. Let alone one with extra capacity... I don't want my phone exploding from this. lol

Does anyone have any experience with replacing their 5S battery? Can someone who knows about batteries tell whether this would be a good risk or not to take? :x Thanks!

Here is the link to the item on ebay.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
To be honest, if you could put a bigger battery in, with the $billions Apple spend, I'm sure they would've done it in the first place.

I'd be weary of these that claim to be higher capacity - likelihood is that even if it seems to last longer, that is just down to degradation of the last battery.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Third party battery makers can claim what ever they want. There is no way that you will get more power out of a battery using the same chemistry without increasing the size and there is NO additional room inside the iPhone case.

Just think about it, if it could be done, Apple would have done it. Do not be suckered into these lies!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Your 5s should still be under warranty. Why not use that?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Can someone who knows about batteries tell whether this would be a good risk or not to take? :x

Are you old enough to gamble?

These two comments sum it up nicely. Both the eBay seller and MPJ have a generous return policy so it's easy to give it a try. However, if something doesn't work out you are betting a US$19.99 battery refund (minus shipping) against a fried iPhone with a voided the warranty.

To Lucille Carter's point, I've seen 3rd party batteries with less "wrapping" and claim to be the same size when in fact the batteries themselves are larger and the fit is snug (sometimes to the point of enlarging the battery compartment so I can get them out again). ;)

I see the benefit of this. I'd say if you can't comfortably afford replacing the phone then pass. Even the act of replacing the battery puts you at risk of physical damage, e.g., breaking a cable. If you've already decided to replace the battery then go for it! The feedback for these brand batteries seems OK.

But too rich for my blood. Deal me out.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
I was looking for a new 5S battery online and I came across this 2500mAh replacement internal battery. The standard OEM one that comes with the 5S is only 1560mAh. The extra 1000mAh would be amazing if it worked, but I'm still wary of 3rd party batteries. Let alone one with extra capacity... I don't want my phone exploding from this. lol

Does anyone have any experience with replacing their 5S battery? Can someone who knows about batteries tell whether this would be a good risk or not to take? :x Thanks!

I would advise against it.

Also you need to understand these 3rd party batteries aren't the superior quality as the ones in the iPhone it self.

Look at those cheap case batteries that boost up to 3000mAh yet can barely charge the iPhone 1x....shouldn't they be able to charge 2x? yet no one seems to question or prove why they aren't able to

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
95% of third pary Li-Io or Li-Po batteries are complete garbage and have no where near their rated capacity. Run away.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
FWIW, any time you've ever read a story about a phone exploding in someone's pocket the culprit has been found to be a cheap third-party battery. Even if it was rated right, I'm not gambling that.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
To be honest, if you could put a bigger battery in, with the $billions Apple spend, I'm sure they would've done it in the first place.

I'd be weary of these that claim to be higher capacity - likelihood is that even if it seems to last longer, that is just down to degradation of the last battery.

they could always put a bigger battery, if the 5s wasn't at least as thin and light as the 5 people would have thrown a fit.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
FWIW, any time you've ever read a story about a phone exploding in someone's pocket the culprit has been found to be a cheap third-party battery. Even if it was rated right, I'm not gambling that.

Agreed. I would go and have Apple replace your battery, OP.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

That can be debatable. Apple OEM are far from a "high quality" battery. Somewhat generic mass produces Chinese battery like all smart phones have. 3rd party can be even worse no doubt.

yrusuner.jpg

That's the one out of my 4S. Being in electronics it's not anything special. That's the good thing about a non user replaceable battery, it's simply wrapped and shipped. If it was user replaceable it's a bit more expensive as it would be in it's own plastic housing/case. Some of the competitions batteries even have NFC antennas built in.

Regardless all batteries can catch on fire if damaged (ahem back pocket) it's written out pretty clearly on the OEM battery in that pic.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Thanks guys. Yeah I thought it seemed too good to be true. I don't mind taking apart my phone since I've done it dozens of times before with my iPhone 5. I'll just have to be picky and search around to make sure I find a 'better' quality OEM one. It's so hard to tell since all the 3rd party batteries just print the same markings on the battery and online sellers might not even use a picture of their actual item.

I've taken my phone to the Apple store but since I'm currently overseas the Geniuses tell me they're not allowed to repair or replace hardware related issues with overseas devices. :(

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That can be debatable. Apple OEM are far from a "high quality" battery. Somewhat generic mass produces Chinese battery like all smart phones have. 3rd party can be even worse no doubt.

That's the one out of my 4S. Being in electronics it's not anything special. That's the good thing about a non user replaceable battery, it's simply wrapped and shipped. If it was user replaceable it's a bit more expensive as it would be in it's own plastic housing/case. Some of the competitions batteries even have NFC antennas built in.

Regardless all batteries can catch on fire if damaged (ahem back pocket) it's written out pretty clearly on the OEM battery in that pic.

The batteries are designed in cupertino, so you dont know about the design...just assuming its a generic chinese design. As far as the so called back pocket incident incident has there been any more info before we leap to conclusions?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
High Capacity 2500mAh iPhone 5S Battery Replacement?

The batteries are designed in cupertino, so you dont know about the design...just assuming its a generic chinese design. As far as the so called back pocket incident incident has there been any more info before we leap to conclusions?

I said "somewhat generic" (apn 0580, 0581, 0579 etc) Chinese mass produced.

I don't know where you got that I said it was a Chinese design. :confused:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
That usually costs like ¥50 just saying... and $30 is like ¥200 ;)

Also have you seen the size of 2500mAH batteries? That's too small unless they're redefining the laws of physics.

Dieselfumes57

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
I bought one

I bought one of the high capacity gold batteries and it came from the same place the factory battery from. China. All I know it this. I installed it in my wife's phone 5 and I have a 2 week old iphone 5 and hers last longer. I actually was about to order another from the same vendor to stall in mine so I can make it through a day. It may not last 6 months but as for now her phone will last a good bit longer than mine.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I run a cell phone repair shop, one of my employees bought one of these. It is a stock battery with a sticker over it. Don't believe me go ahead and order one lol

Reactions: geoff5093

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I bought one of the high capacity gold batteries and it came from the same place the factory battery from. China. All I know it this. I installed it in my wife's phone 5 and I have a 2 week old iphone 5 and hers last longer. I actually was about to order another from the same vendor to stall in mine so I can make it through a day. It may not last 6 months but as for now her phone will last a good bit longer than mine.

Unless you do the exact same things on your phone at the same time your wife does (in the same locations), then sorry you can't do comparisons like that.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
I have an IPhone 5, and have seen these extra capacity batteries as well. SO they do nothing more? What a shame.

The droid max last for about 20 hours of talk time. insane, and it's not that much bigger. There has to be someone with a longer lasting battery for these.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have an IPhone 5, and have seen these extra capacity batteries as well. SO they do nothing more? What a shame.

The droid max last for about 20 hours of talk time. insane, and it's not that much bigger. There has to be someone with a longer lasting battery for these.
Is it really not that much bigger? Pretty sure it's decently bigger.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
If it was actually a higher capacity battery it would be physically bigger and wouldnt fit in the phone.

How is that true? For typical RC car NiMh and NiCad packs... a sub C cell comes in anywhere from 900mAH - 4000mAh..cells are the same size. Same goes for rechargeable AA, AAA, Ds, 9V, etc. They have varying mAH.

If the voltage is changing then additional cells are needed (which makes the battery pack larger) specifically if each cell is 1.3-1.5V

Some cellphones might operate at 3.2V but can still operate safely if pumping it with 3.7V.

rednabor

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2014
dunno, I don't see any real-life changes in iPhones since de iPhone 4. The previous ones were terrible. Today it's still ******. If apple cared about battery, they would've made the iPhone 6 slightly thicker to have a better battery life. So if someone comes up with a better battery, I would go with it. Even BlackBerries have better battery lifes that the iPhone 6.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

The laws of physics dictate the amount of power in the same size battery using the same chemistry and there is no way the battery will have what the seller is claiming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.