high capacity replacement batteries for iphone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by psywzrd, Jun 28, 2013.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Does anyone have any experience with any of the high capacity replacement batteries that are available online for the iphone 5?

It seems like the same one is listed for sale on several different websites, but I'm extremely skeptical of these things for obvious reasons. Are they all fake? (they claim to be 2680mAh)

I've been using both the Mophie Juice Pack Air and a Maxboost Hybrid and while both have their positive attributes, I would prefer to not have to carry such bulky cases.

Replacing the internal battery with a higher-capacity battery would obviously be ideal, but I've never heard of anyone doing it. I guess these batteries don't live up to their claims? Or maybe nobody wants to void their warranty by trying one?

2. lazard macrumors 65816

They claim to be 2680 mAh, but in actually are still only 1440 mAh. You can't increase the battery capacity without increasing the physical size (especially when the increase is 86%).

3. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

So basically they're flat-out lying about the capacity of these batteries? That's nice.

4. ngocnguyen, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

ngocnguyen macrumors member

How is that true? For typical RC car NiMh and NiCad packs...a sub C cells come in anywhere 900mAH - 4000mAh..cells are the same size. Same goes for rechargeable AA, AAA, Ds, 9V, etc.

If the voltage is changing then additional cells are needed (which makes the battery pack larger) specifically if each cell is 1.3-1.5V

Some cellphones might operated at 3.2V but can still operate safely if pumping it with 3.7V

5. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

That's a great point - I didn't even think of that. Unfortunately, that still doesn't mean these particular batteries are 2680mAh.

6. Jason B macrumors regular

I have an IPhone 5, and have seen these extra capacity batteries as well. SO they do nothing more? What a shame.

The droid max last for about 20 hours of talk time. insane, and it's not that much bigger. There has to be someone with a longer lasting battery for these.

7. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Same thing with home audio systems or stuff along those lines...

Take a advertised 800 watts Sony A/V Receiver ...its only like 200 watts actually

Take a advertised 800 watts from Denon or alike higher quality..its 800 watts

8. Jason B macrumors regular

So why the heck hasn't anyone made a longer lasting battery?

9. iph5 macrumors newbie

I bought a longer lasting battery !

So here is how it works. Easy. Only $7.35. Google the 2680mAh gold replacement battery for iphone5 - you can probably find them for even less. I got mine from China in about 2 weeks as promised on Ebay with the DIY replacement kit.

The connector to the battery did not look too good at all. I decided to peel off the gold foil and magic: underneath the foil is a 1440mAh used original iPhone 5 battery. Dead. :mad: Check out the reviews in this battery on YouTube.

I guess one way of recycling batteries is re-wrapping them and back on the market :)