High capacity Thunderbolt SSDs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rodrigoluizb, Dec 18, 2013.

1. rodrigoluizb macrumors member

Hi

My 21.5 iMac is a bit slow, so i wanna run my OSX on a SSD. Making my budget calculations, the cheapest way to add this SSD is via Thunderbolt. I'm planning use my SSD only for de OS and my apps. But my iMac has some large apps, like Adobe CS5 Master Collection, Final Cut, Logic and a Bootcamp partition.

I was thinking to use a Lacie Rugged, 256GB TB SSD, but i'm afraid this 256GB won't be sufficient for all my apps. So, i thought to replace the 256GB SSD for a 500 or 512GB SSD, like a Samsung 840 EVO or 840 pro, but i read in other threads about some issues i may have installing high capacities SSD via bus-powered enclosures, like the Lacie Rugged. At the same time, Elgato just launched the Thunderbolt Drive+, with 256 or 512GB capacities options, so i thought installing a 512 on the Lacie Rugged enclosure would not be "dangerous".

My question is, will i be able to run a 512GB SSD on a Lacie Rugged enclosure flawlessly? I mean, without losing quality, and without burning out the SSD?

2. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

I have 256 isn my mbp running a few CS programs and everything else you listed.

I have no issues with space at all however I do stay on top with what files I keep locally.

Anything I don't use daily I offload on an external. Currently, 179GB free.

3. rodrigoluizb thread starter macrumors member

Of course, i don't know how much space i will use from my SSD and probably i won't need extra storage beyond the 256GB, i just would like to know if in case the SSD get full i will be able to upgrade it to a larger SSD capacity.

4. rodrigoluizb thread starter macrumors member

Anyone have tried to swap the ssd from the Lacie to a higher capacity SSD? Now i'm just curious if this is possible.

5. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

Multiple people have on the forum....causes corrupted data when doing large writes.