High Contrast Display Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thetussinmonstr, Jun 25, 2013.

1. thetussinmonstr macrumors member

Hey guys. I'm having an issue with screen contrast.

I work in finance, about 70 hours/week, and about 68.379 of those hours are spent staring at Access and Excel. I need a high contrast screen, and the only option I know of for Mac is pretty inefficient. Control+Option+Command+8 basically just inverts black and white, and ruins all images.

I know that In Windows there is a high contrast option that retains the display of application icons, menu buttons and pictures. Does Macintosh not have this ability? If not, does anyone know of any good third-party software??

Thanks guys, cheers.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

System Preferences > Accessibility pane.

Select "Display" in the left-hand list.

The right-hand sub-pane should show:
    - checkbox: Invert colors
    - checkbox: Use grayscale
    - slider: Enhance Contrast <-- use this
    - slider: Cursor Size

The "Enhance Contrast" slider up/down can be given keyboard shortcuts under:
    System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Accessibility

The keyboard shortcut you cited is just "Invert colors". There's a lot more to Accessibility than that.

You can also adjust color balance and contrast by "calibrating" your display.
    System Preferences > Displays > Color > Calibrate... pushbutton.

3. thetussinmonstr thread starter macrumors member

Hm, I appreciate your response but this doesn't work.

In Windows - and certain Linux distros - you can invert colors for everything other than images. Then you are still able to clearly see icons, pictures and toolbar buttons. I can't find anyway for this to be done on Mac.

PS: For what it's worth, I'm running 10.6.8 - thanks!

4. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Try enhancing the contrast by moving the slider in system preferences> accessibility> display

[​IMG]

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Most problems of staring at computer screens for long times are a result of strong contrast between the monitor and the surrounding environment. If the surrounding light is sufficient to match the light of the monitor, then there should be no problem staring at a screen all day.