High CPU load averages

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lukeyyyyy, Oct 13, 2017.

1. lukeyyyyy macrumors member

Hi Guys,

So i've just downloaded iStat to keep an eye on my late 2013 MBP 13", first thing I noticed were that the load values were rather high. The CPU is a dual core i5, 2.4ghz which identifies as four cores due to hyper threading. so a load beyond 4.0 would mean the cpu is overloaded.

Here's three scenarios demonstrating different workloads and the respective load values;

Scenario 1 - Completely Idle

Load Values are between 1.7 - 2

Scenario 2 - Atom IDE, few tabs on chrome, mail app and a few finders

Load Values are between 2.3 - 2.7

Scenario 3 - Atom IDE, IntelliJ, 8-10 java services running, scala project recompiling every 2-3 minutes few tabs on chrome, mail app and a few finders

Load Values are between 6.1 - 8.5

What are you thoughts? Am I just pushing my cpu too hard?

2. robvas macrumors 68030

If you're talking about the Unix load value, that's not what that means.

You can't "push the CPU too hard".

3. lukeyyyyy thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, So what does the unix load values mean?

From my understanding there are 3 values, 1,5 and 15min averages. The load is based on how much "load" the cpu is under, the values are relative to the number of cores and what I meant by pushing my cpu too hard was basically my expectation of the load to be lower than what it was given the tasks my cpu was performing. Did i miss something?

4. robvas macrumors 68030

It's really how many processes are 'waiting'

Depending on what your machine is doing, having a higher number might not be that bad. For a laptop I'd worry more about CPU usage and energy consumption instead of a load value. For scenario 3 you might want a faster machine, maybe a quad core ;)

5. lukeyyyyy thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I remember reading a good article which compared it to lanes of traffic.

I completely agree on the quad core suggestion for scenario 3. Once vm's start coming into the picture it slows to a halt. Which is completely acceptable for a baseline MBP from 2013. I'm waiting for either coffee lake or cannonlake chipsets, the u series i5's and i7's are quad core which should make for a significant upgrade.

6. leman macrumors G3

What CPU utilization does the activity monitor report?

7. jerryk macrumors 601

Proof IntelliJ is a pig. I try to avoid running it. Prefer to use Visual Studio Code.