High CPU temp/Fan Exhaust

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dmb208, Oct 12, 2010.

1. dmb208 macrumors newbie

I'm a student in college and prior to setting up our computers we had to install them through the school and Systematic Endpoint antivius protection installed on my computer. Recently I have been seeing high CPU temps - around 70/75 and fan exhausts around 4500. I have been researching on other forums and I have seen that it could be the virus protection that is causing this. Now I know that I don't really need the virus protection because well, I have a mac. So I was wondering how can I successfully uninstall the protection. And if anybody on here disagrees with it being the virus protection, then what do you think it could be? Right now I am only running Firefox for surfing and Itunes. Any help would be cool, thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. dmb208 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah my fan right now is running at 3787rpms and I can barely hear them, would you say that is considered normal?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mine are right at 2,000 most of the time. Only occasionally, they'll spin as high as 5,500 for several minutes, then they return to 2,000. It really depends on what you have running at any given time.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you are running anything with flash in it, then that is perfectly normal. If not, it's the antivirus. Mine normally runs around 50C when just firefox and iTunes are in use. Check activity monitor to see what program is using so much CPU.

6. dmb208 thread starter macrumors newbie

must be the anti-virus because all i have running at the moment is Firefox

7. joesnow05 macrumors newbie

I had similar issues with mine, turns out for me at least that it was in fact the antivirus, but still every once in a while now, it will hit around 5k just sitting there. is the laptop on some type of material that isnt completely flat? like blanket, etc. cuz that will do it sometimes too