High CPU temps 2012 cMBP Bootcamped in Windows 8

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by canadianrider, Jun 26, 2012.

1. canadianrider macrumors newbie

what gives? I installed realtemp monitor and they were constant at around 70C? I downloaded some old Lubbo's fan control program which has kicked my fans into a constant high gear.. now the laptop feels cool but realtemp is still reading and average of 55C.

Anybodies else do this? Any ideas of a newer program then lubbo's? This ones from 2009 and not reading temps properly. It thinks their 90+ which I know theyre not now.

2. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

What are the temps like under OSX?

Apple doesn't release the best drivers for Bootcamping Windows.

Also being Windows 8, which isn't out yet, does Apple have official Bootcamp drivers for 8?

3. canadianrider thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, I guess I'm jumping the gun a bit as boot camp only states that win7 is supported. Though other then the temps all the drivers are working great. (on a non-techy level at least)

Temps are fine in osx. 30-45 when under minimal load. And that's with the fans spinning at the lowest rpm(2000).

I've got them bumped up a bit now with a different program in win8 to a default low of 3000rpm and the temps are sitting at 55-60C. Which I assume is as good as it's going to get right now.

I'm wasn't planning on using Win8 much just for some gaming. Maybe when I get a bit I'll deactivate my copy of win7 from my old laptop and see if it'll run any better on here.

4. theBostonian Suspended

I frequently use Windows 7 (64-bit) on my early 2011 MBP (the 2.2GHz model) and the temperatures are always in the mid 60c to 70c range.

I'm not sure about W8 but in W7 you can go into power settings>change advanced power settings>processor power management>maximum processor state and change both settings to 99%. This will disable Turbo Boost thereby keeping the temperatures marginally lower which is especially good for gaming since the i7s are powerful enough without the turbo boost to deal with most programs.

You can also use Google, forums that deal specifically with Windows will have more information (obviously).

5. m4tic macrumors member

It doesn't help that the Nvidia GPU is always active.

6. canadianrider thread starter macrumors newbie

true, but that actually stayed pretty cool at around 45-55C compared to the cpu thats 55-75C

7. m4tic macrumors member

In your power settings, whats the minimum processor state (plugged/unplugged)? I think this could affect chassis temps with a higher minimum set.