high cpu usage after upgrading to Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by benrockwood, Jul 23, 2011.

1. benrockwood macrumors member

benrockwood

All,

After the Lion upgrade from SL (10.6.8), The CPU usage has shot up. When i look in the Activity monitory, the CPU usage is always 50 %. Somewhere in the thread i read, they claim it happens initially due to Spotlight indexing and the indexing is already done, but still the cpu usage is 50% or above even when the system is idle . Because of high CPU usage, the fan is always running and the system is running very hot even when the system is idle ( i have closed all the applications).

Has anyone seen or observed the high CPU usage in UMBP 5.1 2008 or later models after Lion upgrade?

Ben

2. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

How long has it been installed? I believe spotlight did background indexing after my install

3. benrockwood thread starter macrumors member

benrockwood

Re: high cpu usage after upgrading to Lion

3 days. downloaded and installed on the day Lion was released and i think spotlight has completed its initial indexing. I saw it was indexing on day 1. i left my running for almost 24 hrs before shutting it down. but still the CPU usage is always 50% and when i look at the activity monitor, i don't know which process is consuming the CPU. everything down there shows 0% cpu usage

4. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Open up activity monitor and sort the list by CPU usage descending (click it till the triangle points down) and lemme know the process

5. benrockwood thread starter macrumors member

benrockwood

attached the screenshot

Attached Files:

6. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

click the dropdown box and go to all processes, your culprit may lie there

7. benrockwood thread starter macrumors member

benrockwood

looks like this service AGAadminservice is the culprit. What exactly is AGADminservice ?

8. benrockwood thread starter macrumors member

benrockwood

Problem Solved.. After unloading this service "AGAdminservice", the cpu usage dropped to less than 5% when idle and doing nothing, which is good. And i believe this is a citrix serive. i don't remember installing citirix, may be bundled with Lion..

sudo launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.citrix.agadminservice.plist

9. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

it's not bundled

10. benrockwood thread starter macrumors member

benrockwood

Thnx Nuckinfuts .. the CPU usage dropped to less than 10% and most importantly the system is lot cooler. i think before it was killing the battery and now it looks good too

11. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

perhaps it's bundled with some other app?

12. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Mine doesn't seem to have any problem at all.
    [​IMG]

13. BraveDave macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I had the exact same issue! I couldn't figure it out, but your post with the terminal command did the trick! I didn't know what that agadminservice was and if it was needed!