High CPU usage/beach ball on certain website

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BeatCrazy, Feb 6, 2018.

1. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

So I've had my 2017 base MB (but with 16GB RAM) for a couple of weeks now, and really like it compared to my '16 base MB.

But it does seem to get stuck on at least one website in Safari: https://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

^^ Every time I go here from a new window, I get a beach ball for ~3 seconds, and the page won't load past the initial screen, i.e. if I scroll down while it's beach balling, it's gray/stuck because the page hasn't completely loaded.

Intel Power Gadget shows a spike to about 2.6GHz, peak power draw, and ~80% CPU utilization. I don't have this beach balling loading the same page on either my '16 MBP, or iMac Pro.

Is this just a poorly designed website? Or an issue with Safari?

2. macdudesir macrumors 6502

Interesting, it doesn't seem to affect my MBP at all...I know, more powerful CPU, but activity monitor still shows safari CPU usage at 1.2% after I opened that site...it didn't hang either when I opened it up.

You could try clearing the browsing cache. Not sure it would help but thats the best I can come up with.

3. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

I just tried it on my 2011 MBP, considerably slower than your MB, and there was no beachball. I did see a small peak in Safari and Chrome CPU usage (I tried both) when I opened the page.

I'm not sure what the problem is but I don't think it's your CPU. Is your safari up to date? How fast is your internet connection?

4. frings macrumors newbie

5. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 68000

I tried clearing the cache, I think? Safari-Preferences-Privacy-Manage Website Data-search for website-"remove all"

Yep, Safari and macOS are 100% up to date with public versions. I have 50/10 internet, it's very consistent.

6. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

I don't know if this is related, but I have been having some reliability issues with Safari myself lately. I can't really pinpoint when it started, but I know I had zero issues before High Sierra. It does not happen all of the time, but my 100% usage of Safari has now been split 50/50 with FireFox.

7. BeatCrazy, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018

BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I just don't get it. I cleared all history, and all Safari cache, and still have the same beachball/issue.

I would like to think it's just a poorly designed website with lots of ads and/or CDN feeds, but I really don't know much about website design.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2018 ---
    Here's info from Intel Power Gadget:

IPG.png

8. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 68000

So I found a solution: disable JavaScript :) That is obviously not a good long-term solution, but I can confirm the site loads instantaneously, with Javascript.

9. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Oh it really is a good long-term solution. :p

10. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 68000

Solved. Turns out it was DuckDuckGo Safari extension causing the issues. Once disabled, all websites load perfectly fine.

11. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Plugins or Java is my guess. Does the site use Flash or Silverlight, etc? Curious to know if those not getting a beach ball have any plugins installed.

No delay for me. I do not use Flash, but Java and Silverlight are installed.

12. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 68000

No Flash or Silverlight, but as I mentioned in the post above yours, this extension was causing the issue.

13. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Missed it. I was typing. Thanks for the info. Interesting.