High Data Usage (iPhone 6 Plus)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ziegenbagel, Sep 24, 2014.

1. ziegenbagel macrumors newbie

I remember when I got my Iphone 5 that at the time there was a problem with ios using cell data while connected to wifi networks that was fixed in the first update. Im feeling like there is a similar issue this time around also as in a matter of a couple hours I some how used nearly 1gb of data when on average with iphone 5 id use about 1gb a month. Im always connected to wifi at work and home so only time ever not connected to wifi is on commute. Please let me know if anyone else is having issues. All ATT told me to do was to turn of Cell Data when I dont wanna use it, which is stupid to have to turn on anytime I wanna connect, but yeah.

2. Lfaith4 macrumors newbie

Same! Somehow I used 1gb within a few days of when my cycle renewed. I sent my friends pictures through cell data, one through iMessage and one through text. Maybe you did that? I'm not a happy camper either.

3. Draganime, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

Draganime macrumors member

ye i used about 150 mb total on tuesday and wednesday with normal-heavy use and somehow i managed to use 540mb today by only occasionally turning 4g on for CoC and max 4-5 min of youtube, much less than tuesday and wednesday. weird.

edit: upon closer inspection it was youtube that killed loads of data for some reason, ****in 300mb today for 4-5 minutes bloody hell

anyway i don't have an issue sorry for the intrusion :)

4. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

This must be the issue I'm having!! At&t has texted me saying we've used over TWO gb of data...and I know it's not possible because I've been careful to use only on wifi.

I think there's an error with this, which is causing excessive data usage. The real question is whether At&t would refund the charges, due to the fact that it's a problem with the iPhone 6+?

5. ziegenbagel thread starter macrumors newbie

I remember when I had the iphone 5 on verizon with the issue than and Verizon just ajusted the usage to show what it truely would be. Not sure what ATT would be, but seems that there is this problem with every new Ios release on an iphone that at first there is huge data usage, and usage that takes place when we know we are on wifi but still charges on to cell data anyway. I mean, ive had cell data off since I talked to ATT and somehow I used like 5mb at 6am right around when I woke up, even though Cell data was switched off and I was on wifi. so, yeah, if there is a problem sure Apple with fix in a ios update soon.

6. wntrwhte macrumors newbie

Same issue on a 128gb regular 6. Phone shows that I've used half a gigabyte in just over 36 hours. Looking at this, "system services" has used 64mb by itself. Apps I've never even opened have consumed a bunch of data. Not thrilled, but I have 11gb on my plan so not going to panic yet.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yeap, this happened w me and the 5S.

A big data sucker is facebook, you have to turn off automatic video loading in your newsfeed inside the iphone settings, that helped a lot for me. Also, run youtube directly form safari and not the app

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I wonder if part of reason might be the fact that the screens have more pixels and therefore need to use more data to display video/pics?

9. wntrwhte macrumors newbie

An image is the same resolution no matter what screen you display it on, so no, that doesn't matter. Data is not used to actually render the UI, of course.

10. ziegenbagel thread starter macrumors newbie

Those are good ideas for people, its also good to make sure have a lot of the "Background Refresh" apps turned off also, but still doesn't help fact that when connected to wifi shouldn't be using cell data, hence the data leakage issue.

11. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

2GB's in less than a week since owning my iPhone 6. When I'm at home, I'm on Wi-Fi (at least that's what I should be, not sure if my iPhone knows that). WTF? we have the 10GB family share plan and I've used close to 7GB's on the month and still have 3 days left and 370MB's away from 10GB limit.

does anyone toggle OFF cellular data when on wifi? I would hate to have to do that and forget to toggle it back ON when I leave home.

12. ziegenbagel thread starter macrumors newbie

ATT told me to just turn off cell data when on wifi. Seems to have this issue with each new iOS but Apple always fixes it with first update. just haven't heard anything from Apple on it this time yet.

13. ziegenbagel thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems that iOS 8.0.2 may have fixed the issue, which was that mms messages and such were not running data through wifi when connected but through cell data. So if was home on wifi sending/receiving texts with pictures, that may have been the issue.

14. Pjrufus, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Pjrufus macrumors 6502

I normally use less than 1gb a month, I have 3gb on my plan. I just checked and I've used nearly 1gb. 12 days into the billing cycle. I've had my Plus for less than 3 days. Going to be more conscious of turning off cell data at home. Glad I read this thread.

Just thought of something else. Turn off auto updates in settiing/itunes & app store. Manually update when you're on Wifi. Just noticed it auto updated Garage Band yesterday, not something I want to waste data on.

15. ellisin macrumors newbie

If you turn off cell data can you still receive iMessages?

16. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

as long as you are on wifi

17. ziegenbagel thread starter macrumors newbie

You dont have to turn off auto update completely, just turn off the switch to use Cell Data to do so.

----------

Imessages are mainly when connected to wifi anyway, but turning cell data off shouldn't stop you from making calls and receiving texts at all, calls and texts are separate from data. That was the issue that Apple just fixed because some home getting and sending pics in messages was taking away cell data when it shouldn't.

18. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I tested a Galxay S4 (for a month) last year.
    in 3 days I used 1.8gb of my 2gb plan.

ATT just said i would need to turn off cellular.

for months on my iPhone when trying to splurge I'd hit 1.6gb (in the entire month) and suddenly with the S4 i ate up almost all in 3 days (I was 5 days into my cycle)

Since then I have installed DataMan on my iPhone. it is a nice app and has notification center Widget available too.

I wish my wife's phone could be added and imported into the number since we now SHARE 2gb.

19. ziegenbagel thread starter macrumors newbie

Att Service

So people know who have ATT when looking at your data usage, you most likely see a weird charge of usage at exactly 6am everyday. I was confused why this is, especially since it happens even when cell data is off. But from what ive found out is that its them refreshing your usage on the server and that 6am usage amount isn't counted toward your usage.

Additionally, ive found out that it sucks to have to turn Cell Data off as Visual Voicemail only works when you have your cell data turned on, which is pretty stupid.

20. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

welp, I just upgraded to the new data plan. 30GB for the price of 15GB. no need to worry about going over and now able to stream at work with no issues.