Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingsrule5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Ok since there are multiple threads on the issue of high cellular data use being reported over multiple devices I think we need to try and track the issue.

Fill out this info for any/all devices. I am leaning towards this being an issue with using cellular not wifi at night when icloud backups run so make sure to note if this is on or not.

Please also note if you did a lot of streaming/app downloading that could have caused it.

Product Model:
iOS Version:
iCloud Backup on/off:
Carrier:
Data used daily Carrier(MB/GB):
WiFi (on/off):

The data used should be based on carrier reports from website or a text check.

Here are mine to start

Product Model: iPhone 5 64GB
iOS Version: 6
iCloud Backup on/off: On
Carrier: AT&T
Data used daily (MB/GB): 800mb
WiFi (on/off): On

Product Model: Iphone 4S 32GB
Carrier: AT&T
Data used daily (MB/GB): 600mb
WiFi (on/off): ON

ucfbeta92

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
Product Model: iPhone 5 16GB
iOS Version: iOS 6
iCloud Backup on/off: Off (now)
Carrier: Verizon
Data used daily Carrier(MB/GB): in 6 day billing cycle, I've used 0.688 GB

It doesn't appear to be a major drain, but I'm surprised to have used that much in 6 days. I'm joining the thread because I noticed that cellular data usage is taking place even when I'm on WiFi.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
iCloud Backup on/off: Off
Carrier: O2
Data used daily (MB/GB): 200mb

Until about 6 months ago, I never broke my 500MB limit. Then with 5.1 my usage spiked to 750MB/month, and with the iPhone and iOS6, I am burning about 200MB/day!!!!

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
In four days of iPhone 5 usage, I burned through 2.6gb. Now it's back down to reasonably levels. Things that worked for me:

Turned off safari reading list LTE downloading
Turned off LTE image caching in reeder
Stopped streaming podcasts, now downloading them (a 50mb podcast would somehow end up costing you 2-300mb in LTE)

iCloud syncing was never an issue, and the iPhone averaged .65mb per night while I was sleeping.
Usage is now about 10-70mb/day, with a nice free chunk for tethering

PN4

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
CHS
Product Model: iPhone 5 32GB
Data used daily Carrier(MB/GB): 100 MG per day since last billing cycle
WiFi (on/off): Off

My LTE speed is faster than WiFi so I've turned my WiFi off. Seems like I'm using less data with the IP5 than I did with the IP4. and I've probably ran over 10 speed tests with it, watched tons of youtube videos, stream podcasts all day at work and downloaded all my apps 'fresh' over LTE (except for >50mb ones).

Jnava420

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
Lincoln, NE
my info

Ok so I had my launch iphone 5 for a day the data seemed to be just fine, got a replacement on the 22nd because of scuffgate, everything seemed to be fine for a week then 2 nights ago i get a text saying ive gone over my data I do the test by reseting usage on iphone, making sure im connected to wifi and stream a video, my lte data is being counted while im on wifi still. Talked to both apple and verizon, got info for direct email and numbers to a person for each company, they were pretty helpful even tho they said they have not heard of this issue yet, they are suppose to be calling me back Monday. The only solution i can find is turning off cellular data when i have wifi, its very inconvenient....I have a genius appt for Tuesday morning, hoping for a replacement it doesn't seem like this is effecting everybody so idk really ha I just hope its iOS related and that Apple can fix this, Ive never gone over 2GB of data in my life 4GB is my limit but now some how im almost at 5GB

Product Model: iPhone 5 32GB
Data used daily (MB/GB): in 2 weeks im at 4.8gb

MemphisDave

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I figured out my data usage issue this morning. I was speedtesting the LTE network in Memphis while driving around I-240. I just checked my current data usage and tracked all my heavy data usage back to speedtesting this morning.

I finally got the slow Memphis LTE AT&T network to peak out at 23mb/sec. but testing it around the city cost much data usage. i attempted about seven speedtest in the process.

Those seven speedtest cost me 200mb of data. That's 10% of my monthly 2Gb data plan...burned up in several minutes.

MemphisDave

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
iCloud Backup on/off: Off
Data used daily Carrier(MB/GB): in 4 days I've used 360 MB out of my 1GB plan
WiFi (on/off): Kept OFF Since Friday PM

Been using WiFi 98% of the time I've owned the phone and when I was out and about the only data usage was picking up email (PUSH every 15min).

Most of the data is small potatoes but there is a 50MB download which I now see was a Speedtest that I ran when on my home WiFi but it counted as LTE data.

Called Verizon who told me to keep the Cellular data off when in a WiFi zone and they will be monitoring my use through Monday and call me back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.