high def 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scottyfrombi, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Scottyfrombi macrumors member

I am not clear on this and wonder if someone here can help me understand. The 17" comes with a 1920x1200 mp screen which is referred to as High Definition. I understand that the next OS, Leopard will allow any computer to be used at any resolution so that theoretically, the 15" could be used at 1920x1200 mp resolution. I understand that this would not be very practical because the image details would be extremely small. However if one did up the resolution on a 15" in Leopard, would this make it a "high definition"?

I understand also that the 17" HD has 133mp per inch as opposed to 115 or so mp per inch in the 15" MBP. Would the higher resolution on the 15 " make it appear as sharp as the 17" in the same resolution?

I guess the equivalent of the 17" 1920x1200 is the 15" used at the native resolution of the 17" (1680x1050)mp. So if the 15" were set using Leopard to 1680x1050, would it appear essentially the same, meaning as sharp and clear as the 17" set to 1920x1200? Or does the 17" high definition give it a crisper appearance because the 15" is not "high definition"?

Hope this makes sense. I am a bit confused. Also, if Leopard is going to allow the 17" to be used at 1920x1200, why pay the $100 upgrade today to get that feature?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

the resolution of a display is a hardware thing. You can't show more pixels than the number that physically exist on a display. You can't drive pixels that don't exist.

3. Scottyfrombi thread starter macrumors member

What are people referring to when they say that Leopard is not resolution dependent? Will Leopard somehow allow us to see things like fonts at one resolution and images at another on the same screen at the same time or vise versa? Or allow us to zoom in and out on an image like Photoshop does for example? If so, could we then zoom a movie or stretch out a movie that is not in wide screen format?

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

source: http://developer.apple.com/leopard/overview/

5. theman macrumors 6502a

^^ hmm, that sounds nice. :) Maybe i will be able to see things on my mbp screen! I finally got the fonts to be a bit bigger, but other things are still pretty small. my eyes are getting overly strained all the time.