high def tv as monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kryten3000, May 10, 2010.

1. kryten3000 macrumors regular

kryten3000

I am planing on using a 37 inch 1080 high def Samsung TV as a monitor for a Mac Mini system; Mini DVI to HDMI is the connection.

I will be sitting about 10 feet away. I have read other posts about this kind of computer setup and read much about text being difficult to read, but what about adjusting the resolution to over come this? Does it Work?

Visually speaking, are their any other down sides to this setup?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

TV is never as good as nice monitor but seeing that you have 37" 1080p TV, you should be fine. You can zoom text only in e.g. Safari

3. malch macrumors 6502

I am absolutely no authority, but I bought a small HD LED 1080p display, and indeed, text was kind of soft... not nice at all. I ended up moving it into my kitchen to use as a tv... have gone back to a computer monitor for my MacBook Pro.
    malch

4. kryten3000 thread starter macrumors regular

kryten3000

The Samsung I would be using is LCD, model LN32C530F1FXZA Version AA02. If anyone out there has tried this with this model or similar do tell. Worst case scenerio I will just report my findings once the cpu arrives. It`s bothering me the delivery is taking so long but that`s what I get for custom ordering.

5. kryten3000 thread starter macrumors regular

kryten3000

ok so i'm up and running with this system and it's going just fine as far as the resolution goes even with print. the problem is that i have to sit as close to it as i would a regular monitor. I just basicly have a giant monitor, only it's also a tv. now i have to decide if it's for me. The Mac is heavenly, it's just that i'm so used to using a computer at a desk not on my couch. Even though this is working fine i'm might need to make some adjustments on the set up.