High Definition Video in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigandy, Dec 31, 2007.

1. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I've got quite a number of 1080p MKV files, that I'd kind of like to watch. I've not been able to view them since upgrading to Leopard (clean install).

VLC and Mplayer both seem to have huge lags when playing, sometimes as much as 30 seconds.

This is with nothing else running on the machine, I've even tried it with a completely clean install, just VLC/mplayer added.

Are others experiencing this issue? It's not like the machine is too slow (2.16Ghz 15" C2D MBP, 3Gb RAM).

Should I just go back to Tiger? Or (hell freezing over moment) install Bootcamp again, because it works fine there..... :confused:

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. bigandy thread starter macrumors G3

bigandy

The same, although it won't handle MKVs will it? I didn't think Perian was there yet.

I prefer VLC because the volume goes higher :eek:

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I watch a lot of 1080p MKV movies on my 24" 2.4GHz iMac as well and I think it really depends a lot on the encoding process. Some of the movies play fine and others choke the processor and will not play without stuttering unless I set it to drop frames then it looks like crap.

But then some 1080p MKVs play like silk and only use about 60-70% CPU.

I have been watching all HD MKVs with DTS audio with the latest beta of MPlayer because it is the ONLY one that passes the data through SPDIF without horrid stuttering.

5. Cinner macrumors newbie

I don't have that problem. But VLC is still not quite optimized enough for 1080p MKV's (it lags when the video becomes to CPU intensive).

I'm waiting for CorePlayer for OS X to be released. That should be amazing for your HD content :)

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It seems like that has been added in version 1.0.

7. bigandy thread starter macrumors G3

bigandy

So I finally got around to installing Perian 1.0 on my Mac, and was all excited at the first few seconds, but it makes random, and rather noisy buzzes every few seconds, that sound like they're going to break the speakers, and can barely keep up on the 1080p files. :(

This is making me crazy. I'm going to install Tiger at the weekend on the second internal drive partition, and see how it goes. If that doesn't work (I'm sure it will, I did that before), I'll be forced to install Windows :(