high demand, or low supply?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snsking, Oct 26, 2014.

1. snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

It seems it's still extremely hard to buy the iPhone 6 Plus 64GB, whether it's in store or online. Some have had luck, and some wait by the computer. Do you guys think there's a extremely high demand for the 6+, or is Apple not meeting their supply stock?

2. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Both

3. alent1234 macrumors 603

i'm seeing AT&T 128GB in stock in NYC last three days

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Notice he said 64GB?

I personally think it's abit of both (typed on my iPhone 6 plus 64GB). :)

5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

High demand, went by an Apple store to look at iPads yesterday morning, still had a line of about 100 people for iPhones.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Even with strong supply, if demand is sufficiently stronger it will seem like low supply. 64GB seems to be the model in highest demand followed by 128.

Set alerts at istocknow.com and monitor store stock to order online for in-store pickup.

7. mailboxbetacoin macrumors 6502

number of iPhone 6+ in use is flat, very low supply https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/iphone_6/from_date:-29,report_unit:day,to_date:-1

Now if you combine that with all the reports of high demand, something is amiss. It could be that they're working on improving the manufacturing process / quality control (#Bendgate)...

8. Deeds500 macrumors 6502

I think it's low supply. Let's be honest, high demand was a given. Given the hype surrounding the bigger screen rumours, Apple just did not do enough to accommodate for the huge demand. I don't buy this high demand baloney, quite simply, it's due to a lack of supply. It's not like Apple has had no experience in shipping overly hyped devices before. So in answer to your question, the lack of supply is at fault here. Apple would have known the demand was massive, yet it just hasn't done enough to meet demand. It's a global multinational corporation with billions in resources FFS it should have done better....way better.

Yes I know, it won't be too fussed about little old me, in fact it's probably loving the image being created by the lack of availability of phones due to 'high demand'. But there's gonna come a point where any benefit of this starts to become a bit of a liability. It won't sway people like me who are locked in to the ecosystem, but all those non Apple users who have been holding out for their first iphone might just say "fark it" and move onto something else.

Poor form by Apple if you ask me, it was way underprepared. If you advertise a shipping date, honour it. No one would mind waiting say 1, 2, 3 days extra for the 6 or 6 Plus due to high demand, but 6 weeks on and I am not even getting a look in. And Apple cannot tell me when exactly I may be able to get a look in. Every night here in Melbourne at the stroke of midnight and the 6 Plus model is faded out on the Apple website because it's unavailable. Ridiculous.

And do you think Apple will learn from this when it releases its next new model in 2 years (ie not the 6S model)? Don't hold your breath. This isn't the first time. This has become serial for Apple.

Tim Cook, on the off chance you just happen to be reading this, pull your finger out.

Rant over.

9. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

I remember reading a while back that the fail rate for the 6+ screen was 50% right before production, meaning only 1 out of every 2 units was passing quality control. I don't know how true that was, but I'm pretty sure I read it on here.

I been trying to get a 6+ since launch, but like most people, I thought "Apple says 3-4 weeks for an estimated delivery..Im sure I'll grab one at the store waaaay before that." Turns out, it's still out of stock every location. And if by any chance stock does show up for local pick up, it's wiped within 2 minutes.

I wonder if it's also being done purposely to keep the hype running as long as possible... Can't even doubt those types of things being done these days.

10. akfgpuppet macrumors regular

akfgpuppet

Both the Plus and the 64GB (for both the 6 and 6+) models are the ones that are selling the most. Asking for a 64GB 6+ is a rare product right now.

11. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

There is nothing new going on. There were lines for the iPhone 5s at the end of October last year(I had to try a dozen or so times just to pick one up). High demand is causing all of the issues here.

12. CanadaEh macrumors regular

Everyone and their grandmothers want a 6+ tbh...

13. HotIce macrumors regular

A bigger screen is nice.

14. CanadaEh macrumors regular

Not denying that

15. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

I have yet to see an iPhone 6+ in public. Everyone that I've seen has an iPhone has the 6... I don't even understand

16. Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Kiimora

ordered Oct 18th: delivery estimate Nov 17th-24th

Low stock from the onset & too high demand for 6+ 64GB. I have since taken solace with my Air 2 whilst i ride out the long wait for the phone.

I seriously hope it turns up before i go away during the 2nd wk in Dec otherwise i'd be really disappointed:(

17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I think it is a combination of both lack of supply and high demand.

I think Apple under estimated the demand on the larger 6 Plus.

18. ttmrn macrumors regular

this thread topic is a bit senseless. it's obviously high demand.

how did the OP come up with "low supply"

oh wait, don't tell me, did OP and the rest (who agrees to "low supply") get low supply as an end result?

when something cause/result the "supply" to be "low" due to a "high" demand but still met eventually, the INITIAL SUPPLY was never LOW to begin with.

this is complete stupidity.

case-in-point. (example)
    in 2010, the supply is 5million.
    in 2011, the supply is 8million.
    in 2014, the supply is 20million.

"oh yea, this year, there's not enough iphone because of low supply"

[​IMG]

--
    the supply is obviously high, but the demand is much higher.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

That's the percentage in use not the number in use. Do you have a link with absolute numbers?

If the overall quantity of smart phones in use is expanding at roughly the same rate as people are buying iphone 6+'s you'd see a similar graph. There are different ways that could happen. Not something I have any desire to debate as it'd be pure speculation.

Also an explanation of how they're arriving at the data would be useful. What represents "in use", a website hit counter logging device type?

20. ATEspo macrumors regular

ATEspo

I think its both high demand and low supply. But the problem is the low supply. They obviously didn't have enough ready to ship for the release, and I really hope they use this as a learning example and make the necessary changes for the future releases.

I saw 1 iPhone 6+ in public, and that was this past Saturday at Chipotle. I even asked the guy how he liked it and he said "I literally just got it today, pre-ordered it on the 12th and waited and waited, but it was worth the wait..."

Other than that, I have yet to see ANYONE with a plus. I am still waiting for mine (today marks day 39 since I've ordered it).

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Why are the mutually exclusive?

This is a fallacy if false dilemma or false dichotomy.

22. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I was pretty angry with the pre-order debacle and how I stayed up until 3AM and still waited a week for my Plus, but after seeing the backlogs, I'm pretty happy I missed the sleep! :)

:apple:

23. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

I'm sure the average user understands exactly what I meant by the term "low supply".

No need to get anal about it. It is clear what exactly I am referring to.

Yes supply is high in terms of millions of units produced. Does it meet demand? No.

24. HotIce macrumors regular

I have seen one 6+. It looked kind of funny because it's so wide, but I like the 6+ anyway. :)

25. mailboxbetacoin macrumors 6502

Percentage is best data we've got available right now.

Now, regarding your comment, if there are are 100 millions iPhones, including 2 millions 6+, the percentage would be 2%. If tomorrow there are 102 millions iPhones in used, including 4 millions iPhone 6+, the percentage would be 3.92%.
    So although the percentage wouldn't double when doubling the number of 6+, it would still be much higher.
    I know you mention not wanting to debate that, but thought I would correct it since it's completely wrong.

As to how the data is collected, Mixpanel is one of the big mobile analytics company; developers can add their library to their app, in order to get analytics about their users, competitor to Google Analytics if you're more familiar with that.
    They aggregate the data during major iPhone / iOS launches, from all the apps that are using their library.

So, is the data perfect? Of course not, but it's the best proxy we have right now to estimate the data we're talking about; and it's still very relevant when used in a comparative way: iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6+ for example.